Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition switch help

Hi all,

I almost had a situation today...The boat wouldn't start and I was slowly drifting toward the damn/rocks...All of the sudden - the key started turning all the way around and not egaging the starter... I finally got it started and back safe to the slip!

I have the switch next to me...Is this a part easily replaced? Has this part failed on anyone else?

They tend to loosen up over time. There is a bolt underneath, tighten it up with some locktite.
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I'm not seeing anything to tighten?

Comment

It's actually on the back of the switch housing. Same thing happened when I took my boat out for the first time (my dealer had to replace my entire dash when they sent the wrong one from the factory). Luckily, I had a tool kit on board and was able to tighten everything up.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I actually have the switch removed from the dash and sitting on my desk with the key in it. The problem is that the key spins freely instead of turning to a start position then stopping.

I'm just sitting here waiting for the shop to open and hoping they will have a replacement part.

You guys are referring to the nut that tightens it to the dash, right?

Comment

That is what dogbert meant, if it is spinning inside its own housing then you will need a replacement. You might find it at an auto parts shop if your dealer doesn't have it.
            "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Working...
            X