No announcement yet.

Serpentine belt problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turned out to be the water pump pulley. The shop replaced it and for now the problem has been fixed. I have owned this boat for 11 years and have only replaced one belt before. And that was just for maintenance purposes. That's why I couldn't figure out why after an impeller change, I started eating belts. They must've done something wrong re installing the water pump.

Comment

X2
      15 Escalade ESV-Black
      08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

I had a similar problem. Had the local shop replace the impeller, and the plastic housing (why Mercury, why????). Got to the lake and 10 minutes later, shredded and tosssed the belt. Turns out the local boys misalinged and/or cracked the alternator bracket getting sufficient tension on the sepentine belt. The fix cost me $350 (including a putting a metal pulley on the water pump to replace the chipped plastic one). Who uses plastic on load bearing parts anyway???

As my understanding wife tells, me, its a BOAT honey, as in Break Out Another Thousand! If it was cheap, it wouldn't be fun.

Bottom line, watch those pulleys and belts boys.

Comment

Boy, this sounds familiar. Had pretty much the same probelm this summer at Lake San Antonio. My local repair guy broke/ bent the alternator bracket, causing an alignment problem, eventually trashing the belt (in the middle of the lake around 6:30 p.m., natch). Check the belt alignment.

Comment

Working...
          X