Adding a second bilge pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a second bilge pump?

Anyone ever do this? Can I just wire it to the same wiring connections for the first one?

I probably will have to add a bigger line going out of the boat with some check valves.

The reason I ask is that we surf a lot and on my 2100v, my blower vent is an opening below the rubrail on the transom. Whenever I stop to pick up a rider while surfing or wakeboarding, I take some water into the bilge through my blower vent. I had to move my bilge pump next to the rudder for it to be effective because when we're surfing, the boat is usually listed to port and the bilge pump was on the starboard side next to the V-Drive (which is the lowest point of the boat at rest).
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Why not get one that does more GPH? They have them going up to 8000 gph and Tige puts in 500 ghp pumps (this is what they added to the 24Ve. I have not clue what they added to the RZ2. Haven't looked that hard yet).

Comment

I was planning on adding 2 while doing my ballast install, but did not have the time. I will add 1 in front of the fuel tank and the 2nd in the port rear corner of the bilge for the same reason, surfing. I see know problem adding them to the factory harness/switch as the pumps only draw about 3-5A's.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
        Why not get one that does more GPH? They have them going up to 8000 gph and Tige puts in 500 ghp pumps (this is what they added to the 24Ve. I have not clue what they added to the RZ2. Haven't looked that hard yet).
        Because I want them in two different locations, one next to the rudder and one at the lowest part of the boat by the V-Drive (where it used to be located).
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I would wire them seperately, the only reason being if one trips the inline fuse then you will still have the second one running (most likely). It's probably not a huge issue, but it does not take more than 15 minutes to wire them straight to the battery, why not just do it?
          Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
            I would wire them seperately, the only reason being if one trips the inline fuse then you will still have the second one running (most likely). It's probably not a huge issue, but it does not take more than 15 minutes to wire them straight to the battery, why not just do it?
            well, I was kinda hoping that I could wire them to the bilge switch.

Comment

My 2nd is right behind the fuel tank, which seems to be the low point of the boat when it is sitting in the water or just idling, which is where I wanted it since the factory one would get the water once we are moving. I wired it straight to the factory wires and they both seem to work fine. I did however make it drain out of one of the ballast vents instead of going to the same drain. I put a t in the vent line and put about a 5 inch piece of tubing and then a checkvalve and then the tubing to the pump. I used the port aft vent, that way I can tell which pump is emptying water, starboars is factory, port is 2nd pump.

Comment

I agree with Jason on wiring them separately. Do you have an aux. switch that is not being used you could tie into or possibly add a switch? Just a thought.
                "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                  well, I was kinda hoping that I could wire them to the bilge switch.
                  What's the point of a switch? Aren't they automatic when they sense water? Mine is; I've never once turned my switch on.

To be honest though, the only time I've ever had enough water for it to kick on was trailering it home after I took a couple rockers over the bow to soak the brats I have never even had a drop come out my drain hole when I take out my plug at the ramp (aside from aforementioned tom-foolery).
                  Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Working...
                  X