Engine cover hits heat exchanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine cover hits heat exchanger

I have a model 20i direct drive with a 350 merc mid engine and just installed a fresh water cooling kit. All is well, except the fibreglass engine cover now hits the heat exchanger and leaves an open gap at the floor of approx 1".

My last sort is to remove the cover and add a 1" piece of rubber to the bottom and reintall rear hinges, but getting close to the top of ski rope post.

I'm hoping someone has a bright idea.

Thanks!!!

Do you have any pics that would help..
    Thanks
    15 Escalade ESV-Black
    08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

More info? Year, recent mods? Usually people have this issue after replacing intakes or carbs.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I'll take some photos and add tomorrow.

It is a 2000 20i with a 350 mercruiser direct drive with motor in the middle of the floor. The fresh water kit is a Mercury one matched to the motor.

The fiberglass engine cover has 2 hinges at the back of it which attach to the floor so it can be lifted from the front just to the port side of driver's seat.

The heat exchanger sits on a bracket which bolts to the block at the thermostat housing and sits just above the belt with no room to lower it.

After I installed it, I lowered the cover and it it held from touching the floor at the front by about 1" and hits the heat exchanger cap.

The only solution I can think of is to remove the cover and make it 1" taller to allow for clearance and thought maybe someone else had run into this problem?

Comment

I would build some shims to go under the hood and carpet them. Get some pvc board cut it to go around the entire engine bay so that you basically raise the floor 2" or so. Wrap it in carpet. Attach to floor, then attach hood to that. If you can find some pics of older DD ski boats, you can get an idea of what it will look like. I know 2001s have a raised lip around the engine bay.
          Last edited by spharis; 06-09-2008, 03:49 PM.
          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Thanks for the info spharis. I'll look for those DD photos, but your idea is great and will work well. Cheers!

Comment

The only thing would be ensuring clearing the top of the pylon if you are a serious skier. You would hate to chew through the engine cover vinyl super quick by raising the cover too much. I'm sure there is a way to get the clearance you need though.
              Last edited by mtnsmith; 06-10-2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Might have to pull the pylon and weld on an extension to it too.
                []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Working...
                X