drifting throttle arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drifting throttle arm

My throttle arm seems to drift back toward center and lose speed gradually. I'm sure it's a spring thing but where? Do i need to play with springs at the throttle arm (or put in some sort of bushing to keep it tighter) or is the adjustment in springs at the engine? 2002 American Skier Pro with Marine Power 5.7. Thanks, chris

Or maybe you need to add a spring...
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by americanskier View Post
      My throttle arm seems to drift back toward center and lose speed gradually. I'm sure it's a spring thing but where? Do i need to play with springs at the throttle arm (or put in some sort of bushing to keep it tighter) or is the adjustment in springs at the engine? 2002 American Skier Pro with Marine Power 5.7. Thanks, chris
      One of our friends has a American Skier and I have to hold the throttle when pulling a skier or the throttle will come back.

Answer.

Perfect Pass
      Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot

If I buy one more thing I will have to live on the boat. PP or Stargazer are out of the question right now.

Comment

Do you have a picture of your trottle assembly?
          Common Sense is not so Common
          Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by americanskier View Post
            If I buy one more thing I will have to live on the boat. PP or Stargazer are out of the question right now.
            Does not sound like a problem to me... However, I can see where there might be a problem.

Comment

photo

I'll try to get some pics tonight as long as it's not raining.

My wife was pretty good about buying the boat but I don't want to push it.

Comment

The throttle on that boat is just like a car gas petal you have to hold it in the position for consistent speed.

At least thats how the older boats are.
                Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

I beg to differ about holding it in place, we've had plenty of boats in the family and have never had to hold the throttle in place. I even grew up going to a camp that still has two american skier boats, nice ski boats. In the tige there is a way to tighten the pivot that I believe involves a screw in the middle of the pivot and also a set screw on the bottom. Is your throttle a teleflex? If so, they have a lot of manuals on their site, here is the link to their site. Maybe they can provide some ideas as well.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bi...s&library=1017

Comment

Promise to take pics

I will get some pics. Just had too much going on the last 2 nights. We have a 77 American Skier at teh lodge in Ontario and never had a problem with it holding speed.

Comment

Think I got it

I tightened the phillips head screw on the throttle arm and it seems to hold. Time will tell. I'm not sure if it's Teleflex or what but once again (I FORGOT THE CAMERA).

Comment

I know on my 01 21V I don't have to hold the throttle. It does drift a little while wake boarding. Surfing set it at 12-13 and it is golden.
                        15 Escalade ESV-Black
                        08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

the plot thickens

Hmmmm. It has speed control of some sort. Looks like it's part of the Medallion guage stuff. I thought that the rocker switches were just there and non-functional but upon closer examination there's stuff plugged into the rockers and it looks like speed control stuff on the throttle assembly. I took pictures last night but didn't bring the camera to work.

I'm taking the boat to the marina to have them work on the drift. Then we'll see if the speed control actually works. I would assume that since the arm drifts back up that it is deactiviating it when I try it. Just as it would deactiviate it if i pulled up on the throttle manually.

Comment

Never mind

SPeed control was taken off at some point. Anyway, they messed with the springs. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                            X