Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on a steering cable replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you guys always say " drain and move the tank" why? To get the old cable out, cut it between the v-drive and the fuel tank and remove the two pieces. When installing the new cable lay it on top of the tank to get rid of the low spot and resting point for water inside the cable jacket. That will slow down the inside corrosion of the cable.

Comment

That lee, always thinkin!

I think my dealer does this so they can bill me more.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

You suck and swallow enuff gas it will make you think more gooder.

Comment

I tried to get mine to go over the tank-- there was no way it was fitting!!! I think it hated me...I really do. I think if I had cut a hole in the floor under the cooler it may have been do-able to fit it over the top but i didn't feel like messing with it at that point. "Just put it over the tank" sure sounds easy...didn't work like that for me
          Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

You need to fish a rope through first then lead/pull with the rope.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
              You need to fish a rope through first then lead/pull with the rope.
              Lee I was going to do that but I would have had to go buy a grinder or something to cut the old cable out with. It was just faster to pull the tank up for me.

Ok so Taylor’s boats officially is a joke! I got my new cable in and tried to hook it up to the steering wheel, and the bolts where a bit off and the depth of the new piece was off, they gave me the wrong cable! When I called they said they had that in stock, so when I picked it up I assumed that it was the right cable, but nope. So I called to talk to customer service and was put on hold for 15 min. I hung up and called again, and was again put on hold. Waited 5 min and called and left a message for Bill or someone in parts and got no call back. I’m driving the 40 miles first thing in the morning to be waiting at the door when they open.

Just a little back ground on Taylor’s boats, I had a bow cushion on order for about 3 months, and finally had to call tige direct, got a hold of a great guy who had the cushion out to me within 3 days! Next I bought a battery and they gave me one with wrong size terminals, normally not a problem but it’s a drive for me every time they mess up. Then I took the boat in to get winterized and told them specifically not to change the oil, I would do it myself, so when I picked up the boat, they had a 500 dollar bill for an oil change and the works winterization package. Luckily I had them specifically write on the paper no oil change, and they had it on file, so I was not charged for the extra work. Just had a buddy buy a 08 vlx and as soon as he had paid for the boat, and filled out there little survey, (with positive remarks for free gear) the customer service stopped. No reply on the emails etc.
              freedom recreation rentals
              www.boatutah.com

Comment

Finished! Yeah that was a pita, but doable. Well worth the 400 dollars in labor I saved. I went into taylors boats this morning and talked with a real cool mx, he was very apologetic and had no reason to help me out, but just saw that I had two cables draped over my shoulder and asked if he could help. He found me a 24v cable and I went with that, it works great. Man I think the mechanics are the only ones who know what’s going on, those other "parts guys have their head up their ***".

So I slapped the cable to the steering wheel and got out on the lake, and it was hooked up backwards. Lol That was a little different to drive. We cruised out and I pulled it off and flipped it around and got my steering wheel perfectly aligned.

Lee, I pulled my cable over the tank to avoid water pooling in the low point, so hopefully it will last a little longer this time. Thanks for the advice.

Also I got one of those box anchors, man that thing holds to good! Very impressed.
                freedom recreation rentals
                www.boatutah.com

Comment

Glad it worked out. I have to replace my cable soon. Sounds like I could handle it as a DIY.
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Nice. Next time mine goes, I'm coming to your house for some help
                    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Working...
                    X