Heater on first day out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight from the manufacturer...

Open cooling system – The majority of applications have an open cooling system. This
    means that there is no pressure in the system. The water pressure is created by the
    engine's circulation pump. The engine must be at 1200 to 1500 rpm to create enough
    pressure for the circulation pump to circulate water to the heater.

This may be a fix...
    http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H424
    Last edited by Lucky 275; 05-08-2008, 03:56 AM.

Comment

In the 11 years of selling and repairing Tigé boats I have not seen one that will blow out hot air at idle like it did while the boat was under way. We have had heaters on every boat we sold during those years. The hoses do not matter how they are connected to the core, all they do is carry 160* water thru the core as a fan blows air across the core.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 275 View Post
        Straight from the manufacturer...The water pressure is created by the engine's circulation pump. The engine must be at 1200 to 1500 rpm to create enough pressure for the circulation pump to circulate water to the heater.
        Originally posted by lee View Post
        In the 11 years of selling and repairing Tigé boats I have not seen one that will blow out hot air at idle like it did while the boat was under way..
        This all makes sense, seeing how far the distance that the heater core is from the engine. The cooling system doesn't build up pressure like it does in a car engine due to be opened. Maybe a little internal before the t/stat opens fully.

Curious have you had a chance to check it out any further MrMoffat1?
        I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

[
          Originally posted by scoot18 View Post
          This all makes sense, seeing how far the distance that the heater core is from the engine. The cooling system doesn't build up pressure like it does in a car engine due to be opened. Maybe a little internal before the t/stat opens fully.

Curious have you had a chance to check it out any further MrMoffat1?

Concur. Always seem to get the best and most accurate advice on tigeowners.com.

After that first trip, boat has been parked in the garage. Weather has been really cold and rainy. Last local ski resort just shut down about a week ago. Looks like the sun may pop out late next week. I plan on doing a couple of tests - will report back, but I am already assuming Lee is right. He's around 100% accurate on info over the years if recollect correctly
          Last edited by MRMoffat1; 05-11-2008, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 275 View Post
            Straight from the manufacturer...

Open cooling system – The majority of applications have an open cooling system. This
            means that there is no pressure in the system. The water pressure is created by the
            engine's circulation pump. The engine must be at 1200 to 1500 rpm to create enough
            pressure for the circulation pump to circulate water to the heater.

This may be a fix...
            http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H424
            Will look in to that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
              In the 11 years of selling and repairing Tigé boats I have not seen one that will blow out hot air at idle like it did while the boat was under way. We have had heaters on every boat we sold during those years. The hoses do not matter how they are connected to the core, all they do is carry 160* water thru the core as a fan blows air across the core.
              I'm going to be installing a heater on our boat this year. From this and other discussions it seems there may not be a lot of flow available at idle to get the hot water to a distant heater core at idle. The water is the same temp at idle or cruise so it must be a flow/pressure issue. Seems like a small pump might provide the flow needed at idle. Sort of like the hot water circulation pumps used in homes to provide instant hot water at a distant faucet.

On the issue of direction of flow, all the heaters, radiators, engine oil coolers & trans coolers I've ever seen can be hooked up either direction. They are just tubes/chambers with fins/large surface areas to extract heat from the fluid flowing thru them.

Comment

OK, I meant to do this earlier this week, but you know how that goes. I took some pics this morning to help you gents out with your heater questions. Again it doesn't matter which way you hook the hoses up, just so long as the water moves thru the core, the blower motor is not particular to which way the water is flowing. See pics for details.
                Pulled the boat out for inspection today. Noticed my Heater hose was routed different than scoot18 '07s, and it had a kink in the line, probably restricted to half the diameter. Tried to highlight in photo. Also, the connection was clamped up high, looked like it was about to pop off. This could be causing some of the issue. Will get a photo tomorrow. Chpthril, which way is your '06 routed?

Whether fixing the kink will make a darn bit of difference or not, won't know until I get it in the water.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MRMoffat1; 05-15-2008, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Sorry, this ol suthern boy aint got one em'r heaters in my boat but, sounds like you may need to work a few inches of hose back towards the engine so you can make a larger radius bend, and eliminate the kink.

Any kind of kink will cause low flow to the core since it's only the cooling/circulating pump pushing the water. The flow will take the path of least resistance and just stay in the engine block.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Sounds like you are on the right track finding the kink in the hose. I gather by you saying that the hose is routed differently than mine and the art added to the pic that your hose turns and goes down towards the bildge area and then must turn again and go forward towards the helm.

You might be able to just disconnect the hose pull it from the other side and route it up and over the top of the engine like mine is, it would eliminate the need to make that tight turn.

I sure that that kink is your problem with reduced heat.
                    I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

Here is the pic. Looks like both hoses are routed differently from 06 to 07. Anyone have a 06 pic to compare?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                        Sorry, this ol suthern boy aint got one em'r heaters in my boat ........
                        My bad. It was 84 deg in Seattle yesterday (finally), but the water - only a dry suit worked. s/b high 80s today. We are back to 60s by Tues. Ski resort is actually still open -

Comment

Originally posted by MRMoffat1 View Post
                          My bad. It was 84 deg in Seattle yesterday (finally), but the water - only a dry suit worked. s/b high 80s today. We are back to 60s by Tues. Ski resort is actually still open -
                          Heater and shower are on my list for end of season. Gotta get done with my ballast project that was started almost a year ago
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

.... You might be able to just disconnect the hose pull it from the other side and route it up and over the top of the engine like mine is, it would eliminate the need to make that tight turn.....
                            I will probably end up trying that. From all the feedback, it sounds like it does not matter what hose plugs into what outlet. I did a quick tug. There is more "play" in one of the hoses than the other. I tried the shower on Fri and it was not working like before either. I could get scalding water at idle, can't now, so something isn't right. I'm going to trace down the heater hoses and see how/if it hooks in with the shower as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X