Reattaching the driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reattaching the driveshaft

The driveshaft has become disconnected from the transmission on my 21V. The hex screw the secures the driveshaft into the V-Drive transmission box came loose and the driveshaft is no longer turning.

I originally tried to tighten the screw back onto the driveshaft. This worked for about 30 seconds (at very low speed), but then stopped working. I later realized that I had missed the hole on the driveshaft and that the screw had just been tightened onto the shaft, so it didn't stay for long.

The driveshaft has now pulled about 2 inches out of the V-Drive housing. I need to 1) figure out how to push the driveshaft (and prop) in the 2 inches or so, without ruining the dripless seal or anything else, and 2) how to best align the hole on the driveshaft with the hex screw.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

What you'll need to do is disconnect the coupler from the VDrive. On mine, it's a brass colored 4-bolt coupler. Unbolt it. Inside the coupler, there's a big nut. Sounds like the big nut came loose. This can happen if the hex screw backs out. You'll need a ratchet and socket to tighten it down. Have someone put a wrench on the prop nut to keep the shaft from spinning while you're tightening it. When it's tight, tighten down the hex nut all the way. Then reattach the coupler to the VDrive. Hopefully, you didn't spin out the keyway inside there. If you did, you may have to replace the shaft. But if that's the case, at least the coupler is loose from the shaft because that's the hardest part of removing the entire shaft. Good luck.

Comment

That post is over three years old.
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Atleast he can finish the job now
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
        X