Oil consumption MP 340

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil consumption MP 340

It's been a little over 50 hrs since I first changed the oil, I decided to go ahead and do it again for the second time. I am curious if anyone else is adding oil to their new 07's with MP 340 5.7 litre.

Last weekend when we were at Lake Gaston I checked the oil just to do it and to my surprize it was a little low, added almost a full quart. Yesterday after changing the oil I poured what I sucked out of the engine back into the empty oil jug and it ended up just under 4 quarts. "Is this normal?" More than two quarts in about 50 hrs!

What are the rest of you guys seeing?

I changed to synthetic yesterday, because of having to add oil to a new engine, I went to Mobil 1 15W-50. I know that a new engine may use a little oil during break in, but this is a bit excessive IMO. Wondering if I have yet another new problem to be concerned with...........................
    I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Originally posted by scoot18 View Post
    It's been a little over 50 hrs since I first changed the oil, I decided to go ahead and do it again for the second time. I am curious if anyone else is adding oil to their new 07's with MP 340 5.7 litre.

Last weekend when we were at Lake Gaston I checked the oil just to do it and to my surprize it was a little low, added almost a full quart. Yesterday after changing the oil I poured what I sucked out of the engine back into the empty oil jug and it ended up just under 4 quarts. "Is this normal?" More than two quarts in about 50 hrs!

What are the rest of you guys seeing?

I changed to synthetic yesterday, because of having to add oil to a new engine, I went to Mobil 1 15W-50. I know that a new engine may use a little oil during break in, but this is a bit excessive IMO. Wondering if I have yet another new problem to be concerned with...........................
    It is normal for all engines to use a little oil between services. Most auto manufactures will allow up to 1qt per 3k miles.

I've changed mine 3 times now and I only get about 4.5 qts out, and that includes what I drain out of the filter.

Do you know for sure it was "full" when you took delivery? If so, I would start checking the oil before every trip out (need to check it the same way every time i.e. in the water or on the trailer) and document the hrs used and amount consumed. Dont add any to it as long as it is in the SAFE area.

If it burns a qt by the time your next service rolls around, I'd say it's normal. If it looses a qt before your next service, you have the documentation that your dealer and MP will need to determine if the consumption is normal or not.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I had the same issue. Right at about 145 hours, I started to get an occasional oil pressure warning when we were surfing, and rolling over our wake sideways. The warning came on so quick, and went away, it took me several times to figure out what the warning was. I checked the oil, and it was down about a quart. I took it in for its 150 hour service, and there were no leaks, so it must have used the oil. They switched to synthetic, and I will be watching it. I have NEVER had this happen with my previous boats, but I have never put 150 hrs on my boat in one season either. I will be keeping an eye on it. I will say, I do love the digital warning system from Tige.
      http://wake9.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
        I have NEVER had this happen with my previous boats.

Ditto on that, other boat didn't ever use a drop. This one has me concerned as its used more than 2 quarts in about a 50 hour usage period. That would equal about 2200 miles in car terms equating with our avg speed of about 24mph.

I will keep an eye on it now that synthetic is in use. I certainly hope it doesn't continue to be a problem. I have always been a Chevy guy and have never had any oil consumption issues with any of them. I understand that in a boat it's like a heavily loaded car driving uphill constantly, but it still shouldn't use this much oil.

"You know," it also makes me wonder, if I were the type of person who didn't regularly check the oil, what might of happened if I waited until the suggested, change every 100 hrs or at least once a season, "oil so low engine locks up!"

Comment

Originally posted by scoot18 View Post
          Ditto on that, other boat didn't ever use a drop. This one has me concerned as its used more than 2 quarts in about a 50 hour usage period. That would equal about 2200 miles in car terms equating with our avg speed of about 24mph.

I will keep an eye on it now that synthetic is in use. I certainly hope it doesn't continue to be a problem. I have always been a Chevy guy and have never had any oil consumption issues with any of them. I understand that in a boat it's like a heavily loaded car driving uphill constantly, but it still shouldn't use this much oil.

"You know," it also makes me wonder, if I were the type of person who didn't regularly check the oil, what might of happened if I waited until the suggested, change every 100 hrs or at least once a season, "oil so low engine locks up!"
          Well, with me, my warnings caught it. You didn't hear your dash ever beep at you while it was low?

On my Yukon XL, with 8.1 liter engine, it did use a little, and I actually got a warning, "check oil level" and it was just under a quart low.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
            You didn't hear your dash ever beep at you while it was low?

"No," no beeps. I just decided to check it just to be proactive. We were going to be using the boat a lot for 3 or 4 days and I just thought it would be a good idea to check it. I really didn't expect it to be low, but to my surprize it was.

Hopefully I never have to hear the alarm beeps. It's a very scary sound. It happened to me once right as we launched and drove away. My raw water strainer was clogged with silt and mud and the engine got hot quick and set off the alarm. The exhaust was noticeably different as well due to lack of water flow, and that we noticed right away and wondering what the @#%& is that! Then the alarm went off.

Comment

Well, I only got the alarm, surfing, with boat listed way over, and then during pickup, where I take my wake broadside. And the OP only dropped for a second or two, so I didn't know what was going on at first. Like you, I will be keeping an eye on it, but yours seemed to use much more oil than mine. This was at my 150 mark, right before oil change time.

Comment

Keep in mind that your Tige engines work harder than your typical boat. They're heavy to begin with and then we add even more weight.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Its a high compression small block chevy probably with a roller cam and running at over 2500 RPM alot (mine is anyway). It is going to burn oil. I did compression test, leak down test, and rebuilt valve seals to try and solve/remedy mine, and I still burn; ended up just going to a 40W to cut down on the amount thay is getting burned. Part of the 350cid experience.
                  http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                  []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Working...
                  X