21 I steerlng tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21 I steerlng tight

Can anyone provide me with advice on fixing problem with the steering being very tight?

New cable. The part's not cheap, but the repair you can do yourself on a 21i.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

What about lubrication of the cable prior to replacement? Checking for my husband who is out of town, who will only have a day before the labor day weekend boating trip . . .

Comment

they say you can lube them, but I have the same problem. Have to put a new one in every year just about.

The key is to make sure you turn the wheel every week or two even in storage, so rust can't form, and then keep it lubed. I'll be lubing mine this weekend to see if it helps, so will let you know. Won't help you for your trip, but maybe afterwards.
        Originally posted by G-MONEY
        It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Lubing probably doesn't work all that well...you'll need some way to inject the lube into the rudder end of the cable (which is where it is most likely binding).

To prevent this, you need to drain your bilge all the way. this is hard to do on a Convex V boat.

I'd PM spharis to find out what's involved. He's done it on a boat just like yours so he can give you a time estimate.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Same thing happened on a friends bu. Se if there is a grease fitting on the cable (not the one on the rudder box). If there is you might be in luck. Give it a couple of shots of grease an it should loosen up without having to replace the cable.

Good luck
            Indecision may or may not be my problem

Comment

Check this out. http://www.wakeboatworld.com/index.p...d=29&Itemid=35
              Common Sense is not so Common
              Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

The tech support guy at Teleflex said to do this at least once a year:
                1.) Extend the cable all the way by turning the steering wheel all the way over.
                2.) Clean the SS shaft of all corrosion.
                3.) Liberally coat it with a marine lithium grease. Same stuff used for trailer wheel bearings.

Comment

yup that's what you have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by R&T Babich View Post
                    The tech support guy at Teleflex said to do this at least once a year:
                    1.) Extend the cable all the way by turning the steering wheel all the way over.
                    2.) Clean the SS shaft of all corrosion.
                    3.) Liberally coat it with a marine lithium grease. Same stuff used for trailer wheel bearings.

Good find! I've never done this, but I'll start doing it. I still have my original steering cable. 600 hrs and 8 years later, it's still doing pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                      Good find! I've never done this, but I'll start doing it. I still have my original steering cable. 600 hrs and 8 years later, it's still doing pretty well.

You might as well go ahead and order one now, you just jinxed it
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                        You might as well go ahead and order one now, you just jinxed it
                        My, aren't you just the life of the party...

Actually, I checked my cable and I'm in pretty good shape. My boat almost never stays in overnight and when it does it's on a lift with no water in it. Stainless won't rust if it isn't constantly submerged. Now that we're wakesurfing more, I moved my bilge pump near the rudder so it will actually drain the water out while we're riding

Comment

you have a good cable. My friend who has a 99 pre 1950 has his original as well. I just don't get why all of a sudden we are having these failures in the new models

Comment

Thanks to all - this has been extremely helpful. The boat is a 06 with very few hours. We trailer everywhere and rarely keep it in water (with exception of one week here and there for vacations). Actually, this boat only one week in water last summer. Otherwise, it is stored in garage and plugs pulled - don't get the rust thing, but husband will check tomorrow - all good info - love the help!

Comment

Mine is 10 years old. I never changed, just lube it up every now and then with the extend and lube method. I make sure I go full lock to lock a few times every week or so.
                              http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                              []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Working...
                              X