Low speed handling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low speed handling.

I am new to the whole inboard boat scene. I have found it a little difficult adjusting to not having much control at very low speeds. Does anyone have any suggestions?

FYI-01-21V limited
    I also have a question. when I back off my trailer I am not able to get it to back to the left. I know the torque will pull it more to the right but I think I should be able to back to the left a little. Can any explain why this is?

Also how many turns do you have from left to right from center. I thought I read some where it should be something like 4 turns? Mine is like 1.5 turns to left or or right from center. I can also turn sharper to the right then I can to the left. Could that be some of my trouble and how would I correct that? I just replaced the steering cable. I have the rudder in the center when my steering wheel is the center position.

Thanks again,

Sam
    15 Escalade ESV-Black
    08 RZ2-Blue

I have 3 full turns lock to lock as well.

The handling is the nature of the beast. The pivot point of the boat is actually the tracking fins on the hull center. The prop wash hitting the rudder is what causes the hull to turn. In reverse, the prop wash goes the other way. The only turning in reverse will come from the water travel over the rudder, which is very minimal. The reason you turn better to the right in reverse is Newton's third law. Every action has equal reaction. The prop rotation (and the trans torque) to one side causes the boat to pivot the opposite direction. This is very similar to hovering a helicopter, and having to hold left or right pedal (depending on the manufacturer).

One more thing to consider is that some designs of the steering offset the rudder to the right (very minimal) so there is resistance on the steering while traveling straight. This makes it easier to steer in a straight line. This may be why it feels a little sharper turning right. I know my steering is offset ~ 1" from center.
    Last edited by spharis; 08-20-2007, 01:22 PM.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Hi, Sam - we know the feeling. We got our 21V last Oct. and it sure drives different that a sterndrive. Each trip out it gets better. The best tip we got from this forum is the hard-left when a skier drops. Turn the wheel hard-left just before pulling back the throttle and the wake is a lot more manageable. Our 6th trip out was the longest and not a single wave over the bow. Our steering is also 3 turns lock-to-lock. Backing up is still a pain. The only time it goes left is when it's coasting with the rudder hard over, but it's not useful around the dock. When I'm circling around someone in the water at idle it seems to turn sharper when I start the turn then put it in neutral and let the back end spin around. Not a huge improvement, but it seems to be a tighter circle. This all takes practice. We love our new boat and wouldn't go back.

Comment

I've noticed on our's, that when loaded down with peeps/ballast, the wheel is easy to turn to the right but harder (more resistance) to turn to the left.

I spent 10 yrs in I/O's and have been re-learning to drive an inboard over the past 18 months and I'm still fine tuning my skills.

Hang in there, take your time.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

chpthril - I'll bet when turning to the right the steering cable is being pulled thru the casing and when turning left it is being pushed. We have no ballast in our boat and I can't tell any difference either direction. More weight, more force, more friction, but maybe your cable is getting old.

Comment

chpthril - I've been calling our boat an "inboard", too, as if it were a unique type of boat. I spent a few years driving an I/O sterndrive, too. I first learned with a Mercury outboard, then a friend's Berkley jet, and we had a Cobalt 302 Ford Mercruiser before our Tige. I think a jetdrive, sterndrive, direct drive and V-drive are all "inboards". The sterndrives and outboards drive similar. The direct drives and V-drives I would think drive the same. And the jet drives are in between. Our "V-drive" has been a challenge, but it sure has been the best boat I've ever driven.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              I've noticed on our's, that when loaded down with peeps/ballast, the wheel is easy to turn to the right but harder (more resistance) to turn to the left.

I spent 10 yrs in I/O's and have been re-learning to drive an inboard over the past 18 months and I'm still fine tuning my skills.

Hang in there, take your time.
              Originally posted by R&T Babich View Post
              chpthril - I'll bet when turning to the right the steering cable is being pulled thru the casing and when turning left it is being pushed. We have no ballast in our boat and I can't tell any difference either direction. More weight, more force, more friction, but maybe your cable is getting old.
              The reason why its harder to turn to the left at speed is becuase there is more load on the left side of the rudder. The Propeller throws a wash, the wash is heavier on the left side due to the left hand rotation of the prop. So when you turn the wheel left you are forcing the rudder into the wash. If you let go of the wheel while driving it will break right because the wash is throwing the rudder over to the right.

chpthril - I've been calling our boat an "inboard", too, as if it were a unique type of boat. I spent a few years driving an I/O sterndrive, too. I first learned with a Mercury outboard, then a friend's Berkley jet, and we had a Cobalt 302 Ford Mercruiser before our Tige. I think a jetdrive, sterndrive, direct drive and V-drive are all "inboards". The sterndrives and outboards drive similar. The direct drives and V-drives I would think drive the same. And the jet drives are in between. Our "V-drive" has been a challenge, but it sure has been the best boat I've ever driven.
              This is the way I understand it.

Outboard= Fishing boat, pontoon, etc....
              I/O(Inboard/outboard)= Runabouts, Rinkers, searays etc...
              Inboard=Tige, Supra, Mastercraft, Big cruisers and yachts.
              I think jetdrives are a category all their own.

Direct Drives and V drives are basically the same thing. Difference is the V drive engine is in the back and the prop shaft comes forward then back instead of the engine in the middle and the shaft going straight out the back. They drive almost identically.
              Common Sense is not so Common
              Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

zad0030 - the first boat I ever skied behind was definitely a "ski" boat with a Mercury outboard, not a fishing boat. I/O stands for In/Out drive - half the drive is "in" the boat, half "out" and Mercury calls it a "sterndrive". I've seen some nice looking ski/wakeboard boats that have sterndrives on them. I've also seen a couple of big cruisers with dual jet drives on them. I think the term inboard vs outboard refers to where the engine is located, probably in relation to the transom or how it's mounted to the boat. Our 1975 Cobalt runabout was offered with a 302 or 351 coupled to a sterndrive or a jet drive.

It sure makes sense what you say about the prop wash hitting the rudder. My wife does most of the zig/zag tube driving. I'll pay more attention to the turning pressure next time out.

Comment

Not anymore unique then a front wheel drive, AWD, 4WD or rear wheel drive, but a way to describe the placement of the engine/gearcase

Originally posted by zad0030 View Post
                  The reason why its harder to turn to the left at speed is because there is more load on the left side of the rudder. The Propeller throws a wash, the wash is heavier on the left side due to the left hand rotation of the prop. So when you turn the wheel left you are forcing the rudder into the wash. If you let go of the wheel while driving it will break right because the wash is throwing the rudder over to the right.

This is the way I understand it.

Outboard= Fishing boat, pontoon, etc....
                  I/O(Inboard/outboard)= Runabouts, Rinkers, searays etc...
                  Inboard=Tige, Supra, Mastercraft, Big cruisers and yachts.
                  I think jetdrives are a category all their own.

Direct Drives and V drives are basically the same thing. Difference is the V drive engine is in the back and the prop shaft comes forward then back instead of the engine in the middle and the shaft going straight out the back. They drive almost identically.
                  I like to compaire the V-drive to a transfer case of a 4WD.

zad0030 - the first boat I ever skied behind was definitely a "ski" boat with a Mercury outboard, not a fishing boat. I/O stands for In/Out drive - half the drive is "in" the boat, half "out" and Mercury calls it a "sterndrive". I've seen some nice looking ski/wakeboard boats that have sterndrives on them. I've also seen a couple of big cruisers with dual jet drives on them. I think the term inboard vs outboard refers to where the engine is located, probably in relation to the transom or how it's mounted to the boat. Our 1975 Cobalt runabout was offered with a 302 or 351 coupled to a sterndrive or a jet drive.

It sure makes sense what you say about the prop wash hitting the rudder. My wife does most of the zig/zag tube driving. I'll pay more attention to the turning pressure next time out.
                  I think Zad was offering some typical examples to clarify the nomenclature and not saying that those drive configurations are only found on those certain boats.

I gotta say that putting a tower on a boat does not make it a tow boat, it's still a bowrider with tower.

I would call a jet drive "an I/O with out a gearcase"
                  Last edited by chpthril; 08-21-2007, 01:56 AM.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

This is a 2007 Sea Ray 205 Sport. Looks like a wakeboard boat to me. It has a sterndrive with an inboard 5.0L engine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is a 2007 Sea Ray 205 Sport. Looks like a wakeboard boat to me. It has a sterndrive with an inboard 5.0L engine.

Looks like a Ferrari to me .............NOT, 1986 Pontiac Fiero

Looks can be deceiving. Although those bow-riders w/towers look as good as any real towboat, they just don't perform like one. Under powered with ballast, cant surf, swim platform is a foot off the water, cant track worth a $h!t when pulling a strong boarder/skier.

Most are sold LOA so you would (example) have to step up to a 24ft bowrider to get the same interior room as a 22ft towboat.

Not knocking bowriders at all. They are a good family boat, but wont cut it for serious water sports.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention my source........my dealer has an 07 22Ve coming in to trade out and 06 Sea Ray 205 Sport for the exact reasons I noted.

Comment

Also for a beginner trying to learn how to ski an outboard or outdrive makes them have to work very hard to get up , also the wake shape is very noticeably different and not good for the more advanced , add to that that an inboard is much safer for a young family I think its a no brainer!

Comment

What does the term "bowrider" mean? Is it a hull shape or type of boat where it has an open bow you can ride in? Our '75 Cobalt tri-hull had an open bow, as does our 21V.

We've taught quite a few scouts how to ski behind our outdrive and now our V-drive. I agree outdrives usually are hard to get up behind, but that's because they are typically underpowered. With a few mods to our 302 it pulled up skiers just fine. Our 21V with the 350 MPI has plenty of power. We still have the original OJ 14"-18 prop and have an Acme 535 13.5"-16 I'm putting on next week. Will changing the prop change that bulge in the middle of the wake? I'm sure it will help pulling up skiers, but how big a change is it?

When we first got our 21V our relatives/friends would ask what did you get? When I would say an "inboard" I just got blank stares. Then I would say a "Tige" and they sort of knew what it was, but mainly is was "Oh, that's how you pronounce it." A "wakeboard" boat and it was "Oooh, that's cool".

Comment

What does the term "bowrider" mean? Is it a hull shape or type of boat where it has an open bow you can ride in? Our '75 Cobalt tri-hull had an open bow, as does our 21V.

We've taught quite a few scouts how to ski behind our outdrive and now our V-drive. I agree outdrives usually are hard to get up behind, but that's because they are typically underpowered. With a few mods to our 302 it pulled up skiers just fine. Our 21V with the 350 MPI has plenty of power. We still have the original OJ 14"-18 prop and have an Acme 535 13.5"-16 I'm putting on next week. Will changing the prop change that bulge in the middle of the wake? I'm sure it will help pulling up skiers, but how big a change is it?

When we first got our 21V our relatives/friends would ask what did you get? When I would say an "inboard" I just got blank stares. Then I would say a "Tige" and they sort of knew what it was, but mainly is was "Oh, that's how you pronounce it." A "wakeboard" boat and it was "Oooh, that's cool".

Bowrider, or run-about: open seating area in front of the cabin/cockpit as apposed to a cruiser/cuddy and ski boats that were closed bows in the early days, pontoon, center console, cigarette type speed boat.

Although towboats are open bow type boats, like a bowrider, most might agree that the term "bowrider" might be best left to those boats with open bow seating that use an "outboard" and "I/O" engine config. and not used to discribe a "tow boat"

From an Insurance standpoint, terms like bowrider/run-about, cruiser, cuddy pontoon, dingy, etc, discribe the hull type, and terms like Outboard, I/O, Inboard, Jet, etc, discribe the engine/drive config.

Comment

Working...
                              X