HARD TO STEER 2003 21R HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HARD TO STEER 2003 21R HELP!

I HAVE A 2003 21R THAT ONLY HAS 75 HRS. I PURCHASED IT FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. ANYWAY, THE STEERING SEEMS TO BE WAY TO HARD. IT TAKES BOTH HANDS TO TURN THE BOAT AROUND WHEN RETRIEVING A DOWNED RIDER. MOST OF THE PROBLEMS SEEM TO BE AT THE SLOWER SPEEDS.
    IS THIS NORMAL OR IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO ?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

You might want to look at this thread and read it. The owner does have a problem with the steering cable also and the suggestion from other members on how to fix it. Hope that it helps.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php

Comment

I ATTEMPTED TO VIEW THAT THREAD BUT THE LINK WAS BAD.
      GREG

Comment

Ops, sorry, took out too much stuff in the link...

Here you go again. I know it works this time.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4537

Comment

replace your steering cable and all will be well.
          -
          I had to replace mine in 06

Comment

Sounds like your cable needs replacing. If you keep your bilge dry, you won't have this problem as often. I've still got my original cable. I drain my bilge every trip out and my boat is usually stored in a garage.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

replace your cable, or try and greese it I have the same boat, and I'm getting ready to get my fourth cable.

My first one went out in one month, second one a year later. Now i'm on to put my next one in.
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

I have the same boat and I had the same problem. I replaced the steering cable and now its as good as new.
                Common Sense is not so Common
                Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

yup if you don't keep it lubbed you will be replacing them about every 100 hours.

Comment

I KNOW THIS MIGHT BE A STUPID QUESTION BUT IS THERE ANY TYPE OF POWER ASSIST OR A POWER STEERING. OR IT IS JUST THE CABLE.
                    THIS BOAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN STORED INSIDE AND ONLY HAS 70 HOURS ON IT.
                    I WILL TRY TO GREASE THE CABLE AND THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP

Comment

no power assist, and if it's been stored for that long, that is also why it is hard, as it needs to be used regularly

Comment

Originally posted by kalgwl View Post
                        I KNOW THIS MIGHT BE A STUPID QUESTION BUT IS THERE ANY TYPE OF POWER ASSIST OR A POWER STEERING. OR IT IS JUST THE CABLE.
                        THIS BOAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN STORED INSIDE AND ONLY HAS 70 HOURS ON IT.
                        I WILL TRY TO GREASE THE CABLE AND THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP
                        Just because it was stored inside doesn't mean that the bilge had water that they previous owner did not discharge. The water could have rusted the steering cable.

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                          Just because it was stored inside doesn't mean that the bilge had water that they previous owner did not discharge. The water could have rusted the steering cable.
                          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                            What I am saying it that the previous owner might not have let the water out of the ballast all the time. Hence, the water would rust the steering cable because water got into the sheeth...

Comment

I dont want to argue with anybody but cable life is dependent on the type of water you run in some lake elements will generate more electricity through the cable as you move through the water , that is why on outdrives they ground the drive to the swivel bracket to the transom bracket and the to the engine block , we have tested several of our boats and have found by adding grounds from the rudder arms to the rudder port , rudder port to steering bracket, steering bracket to engine block we have not had anymore cable failures.

Comment

Working...
                              X