Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to adjust the neutral safety switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to adjust the neutral safety switch?

I was out on the lake with chpthrill this weekend and when we put the boat in reverse it would idle barley and then if you tried to give it any more gas it would imidatley shut off.
    The only thing that chp could think of was the neutral saftety switch had shifted back and was making the motor shut off.

any suggestions?
    Everything happens for a reason
    I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

The neutral switch is only for the starting of the engine it has nothing to do with the running of the engine , there is a idle control motor which could be sticking , how many hours on the boat which engine and what services have been done so far.

Comment

just got a new motor at 132 hours on the boat total with 10 on the new engine now. 340 hp GM power plant

Comment

What happened to your old motor?
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Engine runs great, starts up fine and will idle when put into neutral and forward but will stall when put into reverse.

Sound like we need to adjust the minimum air rate and clean the IAC motor.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yep, sounds like the IAC might need to be reset. Not sure how to do that on a boat, a car you turn the key to on and then push the gas down twice or something and then you hear it reset itself, not sure on the boat.

Comment

Disengage the transmission by pulling out the knob next to the throttle?
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                Probably! Go full throttle twice, that's what you do on my car (push the pedal to the floor).

Comment

What happened to your old motor?
                  ran it low on oil and threw a rod

Comment

I think that may have fixed it. I didnt give it full throttle but close and now it will go in reverse

Comment

Working...
                    X