22V steering gets stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22V steering gets stuck

Hi everyone, just wondering if you've ever seen an issue like this. The steering wheel on my 04 22V gets stuck turning from right to left. It feels like you've hit the stop turning all the way right, but the rudder is actually straight. My wife was trying to come pick me up and couldn't turn the boat around to the right, but left worked fine. Usually you can turn the wheel back and forth or adjust the tilt and it will work fine. My dealer took the helm apart last fall and didn't find anything wrong. It's been fine this summer up until yesterday. The wheel turns freely so it didn't seem like it should be the steering cable, but I can't think of what else it might be.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Check the full length of the steering cable, expecially in a bend. Our last boat had a split in the cable housing and the cable had a hernia. It exhibited the same symptom you describe. The cable pushes and pulls. The push side would push the cable out of the housing.

Comment

Good advice, thanks! I checked what I could see of the cable and it looks ok as far as I can tell. In the process I noticed that there's a mount for the cable near the rudder that looks like it should keep the cable jacket in place so it can push/pull the rudder. The mount turns left/right as the wheel turns but it can also move up and down some. Does that sound like a problem? [/I]

Comment

Working...
      X