24v is Stalling and wont start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24v is Stalling and wont start!

Once in a while, actually 3-4 times my boat has given me trouble starting. It will fire right up, then stall. After it will not fire up for the longest time. Leave it sit for a while and it will fire up and run. But if I try starting it 10 or so times it will only think of firing up then die again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. However it does appear to be happening once every ten hours. I have 50 hours on it in the last month so it is not like it is getting tons of use or anything like that. Just happened again tonight. It will run fine for a good time now, but I know it will happen again after about ten hours. What does everyone think?

Where is the fuel filter on these things? I know the gas I use is good, but the previous owners I am not sure.

Thanks
    2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
    2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

Try this thread. It might help.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4368
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Since you have a 6.0, my first thought would be vapor lock. There have been some others on here experience this. Check with (username) FIC, he can probably give you some insight on this.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What engine do you have and what all has been done so far?

Comment

I have the Vortec 6.0 liter 375 horse. I am wondering if fuel is vaporizing in the lines after the boat is used for a few hours and let sit hot. It kinda makes sense. Cause if you let it sit for a few minutes it will start right up.
          2016 Tige Z3, 2014 Tige Z3
          2013 Tige Z3, 2004 Tige 24V (Legen....dary)

Comment

I think the Vortec engines had a vapor lock issue for a while. I recall Tequilasun had some issues early on, but that they got resolved by the engine manufacturer.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Its sounds like you might be having vapor lock, the 6.0l by design is an emmisions clean engine and its cooling system was made to retain a large amount of heat for a cleaner burn , there is a modification that we do to the cooling system you can call me at 1 888 517 3178 ask for Dom , also I suggest you remove your rear vent hose that goes to the bildge , not the blower hose , heat rises and can not escape from the engine area.

Comment

I had a similar situation happen to me over the weekend. My dealer replaced the original 6.0L with a 5.7L this last fall and the 5.7L has been flawless. However, Friday night it started acting like it was the same vapor lock problem as the 6.0L. Primarily cutting out upon acceleration, but died while idling and wouldn't start. Needless to say I was getting pretty upset after everything we have gone thru.

Called my dealer on Saturday morning and they sent out a mechanic. Everything looked good, I guess there has been a problem with the cooling coil that surrounds the lower fuel sending unit becoming loose and dropping down.

On top of the engine is a fuel bleeder valve that he checked by turning the key which primes the fuel pumps before the engine starts. There was no fuel pressure. He started checking electrical connections and eventually checked the fuses. By wiggling the fuses to the ECM and fuel relay the engine would start and idle. He continued to fiddle with them and the engine started to race. We shut it down and he found that the socket connection for the ECM fuse was loose, so he just used a screwdriver to pry them together and replaced the fuse. Problem gone and the engine is running great again.

Simple solution to a problem that acted just like a vapor lock (which unfortunately I had experienced many times with the 6.0L).

Comment

Working...
                X