Pulling my prop - any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling my prop - any tips?

I am pulling my prop tonite, got to get a bent blade fixed up before the weekend. Just bought the prop pulling kit at West Marine and I was looking for any tips that may help me out. I read the instructions and I remember when I got my prop repaired two summers ago and watched the guy pull it and it looks straightforward, but I also tend to learn lessons the hard way when it comes to repairs. Any tips to keep me from doing any more damage?

Make sure you have a replacement stainless cotter pin. It's pretty easy to break these or bend them so that they become fatigued. While it's not designed to hold your prop on, it will prevent it from dropping off in the lake should you not tighten it enough.

Also, trying to get that square pin onto the shaft can be a bit of a booger. Make sure it's lined up and in the right place before tightening the prop nut.

I was thinking of doing mine at some point this week also...I only have a slight ding from last year's reunion. It's so minor it's barely noticeable, but I know it's there.

Where are you taking your prop to be fixed? Nettles off North Lamar does really good work. If they can't make it perfect, no one can.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

What style is your puller?
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Dogbert - I am getting my prop fixed at Precision Welding out in Volente Beach. The guys name is Steve Singer, I got his name on here a couple of summers ago and he fixed my prop last time I had a run in with the boat ramp. I really chewed it up last time and it came out perfect. He is a cool guy to boot and he can get the prop turned around quickly. Nettles told me 6 weeks last time! My prop is not nearly as bad this time, only one blade is bent. If I get it to him by tomorrow he will have it ready by Friday.

Spharis - I got the prop puller kit from West Marine, there is one near my office. Here it is. They sure are proud of these things...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&classNum=null

Comment

I know Steve. He helped me get my old telescopic pylon extracted from the mount. It was quite a job. Good to know, I'll use him next time since he's a lot closer.

Of course, Nettles didn't even charge me the last time and did it while I waited.

It's good to have options. Thanks!

Looks like you're all set. It's much easier than you think. Do it in the shade....it's getting kinda hot outside and you'll be laying under your boat.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

When I pulled mine the first time I thought I could just screw the bolt and it would pop off. Wrong. I learned that you put preasure with the bolt then get a 2X2 and a hammer and hit the bolt. Twist it and put more pressure on it then hit it again. Ttwo or three times and it popped loose. Be sure you leave the nut on to protect the threads and also hold the prop on when it springs loose. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by AustinSouthSide View Post
              Any tips to keep me from doing any more damage?
              Don't drop the prop on your fingers when it pops off the shaft. Don't bang on any parts, just let the prop puller do the work. The prop will come loose very suddenly so be waiting.
              Ray Thompson
              2005 22V

Comment

With that clamp style, I think it is a better method to tighten it, and then pop the shaft toward the trans with a hammer a couple of times and let the harmonics pop the prop loose. Those clamps will bend and as you already stated, they are pricey.
                http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Cool, thanks for the feedback gentleman. I will give it a go tonite.

Dogbert - I did end up calling Nettles and they can turn the prop by Friday also, so I am going there instead, it is about 5 minutes from my office. Much shorter trip than going all the way out to Volente Beach for me.

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
                    With that clamp style, I think it is a better method to tighten it, and then pop the shaft toward the trans with a hammer a couple of times and let the harmonics pop the prop loose. Those clamps will bend and as you already stated, they are pricey.
                    I agre with SP. I took my prop off twice so far this season with the clamp style. I only addition to this would be to keep the bolt on the shaft so when the prop does give way, it doesn't shoot off the shaft and hit everything and anything.

Comment

My prop is off! That was not bad at all. Took your tips of leaving the bolt on and then after tightening I gave of the puller a few light taps towards me and pop, it came right off! Boat looks strange without the prop on the back. Off the Nettles tomorrow to get it fixed up for the weekend. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

Comment

FYI, just got mine fixed for $170. Only one blade was bad. Hopefully that gives you a little idea on cost.

Comment

Just got back from the prop repair place (Nettles) and they quoted me a minimum of $100. Hopefully it won't be much more. Will be ready by Friday though!

While we are talking about props, last time I have my prop fixed two years ago the guy suggested that he change my pitch for more low end umph. I can't remember what he specifically did and he did not stamp the prop, but today at Nettles they measured and it was at 11 degrees instead of the stock 12. They said that is the most they could do with this prop and if I wanted more low end I should look at changing props to a 4 blade. I have also seen numerous discussions on Wakeworld on guys that change out their props on their Xstars. Anyone on here change their prop specifically to help with holeshot on heavily weighted boats? We rarely run with more than 1200 ballast so it is not a big deal, just curious more than anything else.

Comment

Just got back from the prop repair place (Nettles) and they quoted me a minimum of $100. Hopefully it won't be much more. Will be ready by Friday though!
                            That is a good price... How many blades are bad? The turn around time is also great.....

Comment

While we are talking about props, last time I have my prop fixed two years ago the guy suggested that he change my pitch for more low end umph. I can't remember what he specifically did and he did not stamp the prop, but today at Nettles they measured and it was at 11 degrees instead of the stock 12. They said that is the most they could do with this prop and if I wanted more low end I should look at changing props to a 4 blade. I have also seen numerous discussions on Wakeworld on guys that change out their props on their Xstars. Anyone on here change their prop specifically to help with holeshot on heavily weighted boats? We rarely run with more than 1200 ballast so it is not a big deal, just curious more than anything else.
                              Check out my thread entitled "my new 3-blade prop". I switched to an Acme 525 from a 4-blade OJ and down-pitched. I run about 1200-1500 lbs on my '99 2100v and it's gets up on plane in a hurry. I got this prop on the recommendation of the Ski Dock, which is putting it (or something similar) on most of their new boats. It does really well on heavily weighted boats.

Comment

Working...
                              X