2007 RZ2 Loss of power and Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 RZ2 Loss of power and Vibration

Had the new boat on the lake yesterday and noticed a vibration and loss of power. The boat was running great for the first part of the day. Later in the day it would not go any faster than 25 mph. There also seems to be a vibration. Also when the boat is in neutral and we put the throttle 3/4 way down it would not hold a steady rpm. Any thoughts?
    RZ2hot4U!

A couple of things to check:
    • Examine your prop - if it's bent, then that could be the problem...if it is, your shaft may be bent also.
    • Motor mounts - make sure they are tight
    • Distributor cap - it could be that your cap is cracked or otherwise damaged and not getting spark to all cylinders
    Last edited by dogbert; 07-21-2007, 05:57 PM.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Thanks.....What is your opinion on the potential of water in the gas?
      RZ2hot4U!

Comment

Could the speed set be hunting for the right speed and overriding what you do with the throttle?
        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

May be as simple as the Speed-Set engaging @ 25mph??? That will limit the speed to the set speed. Check to make sure the switch on the dash is off.

These engines are an ECM controlled Throttle-By-Wire system. I dont know how fast the computer will let you "dry rev" the engine. May have been an over rev/rev limiter that would net let it rev up in neutral?

Does yours have the duel battery set up? If so, Make sure both batteries are fully charged and check all the power and grounds at the battery.

EDIT - just read your other post. You have the 6.0L. In 05 or 06, these had some vapor lock issues, thought Marine Power fixed it but that could be you problem. Send a PM to FIC, he is THE MAN on this (and everything else)
          Last edited by chpthril; 07-21-2007, 09:46 PM.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Stuck again!

Originally posted by lovin the sun View Post
            Had the new boat on the lake yesterday and noticed a vibration and loss of power. The boat was running great for the first part of the day. Later in the day it would not go any faster than 25 mph. There also seems to be a vibration. Also when the boat is in neutral and we put the throttle 3/4 way down it would not hold a steady rpm. Any thoughts?
            We took the RZ2 in to be looked at on Wed. (FYI: I am no boat mechanic expert so I hope this makes sense.... this is the way I understand it) Service says after checking it on the computer.... it read low voltage. Although they could not find any low voltage issues (?) Plugs are fine, fuel filter is fine, no water in the gas, etc. They reprogrammed and everything read fine. Voltage fine, etc.... We were told they could give us back the boat and it looks like it may have been a setting and we should be fine on the lake. They offered to run it on the lake for us to "test" it. We opted to have them test it and they ran it on the lake this morning and it did the same thing; wont go over 3000 rpm. Sluggish power out of the hole. The rpms will rev up over 3000 rpms, in netural and we were told the engine "runs" good and sounds fine. They said it felt like a problem with the prop. They checked it and it looked great. Keith (service) contacted marine power and they are sending some instructions for the exact programming for the calibration system, ECM. Eddie at Marine Power has the same engine and prop set us as our RZ2. His runs beautifully (lucky guy)! We are now told that Kieth needs to read the programming instructions and re-program the engine. They will run the boat tonight and see if it changes.

My husband and I are are so BUMMED! We purchased the new RZ2 on 6/25 and have not been able to play or have one day without issues with this boat. Only 11 hours on the boat ..... No wakeboarding, surfing or skiing! This sucks!

Does anyone have any experience with this and just wondering what you all think about this? (We are new to inboards... our last boat was an outboard)
            RZ2hot4U!

Comment

Well, the dealership is helping you and they are also having the same issues... That is good!!!! Once they solve the problem, you will be back on the lake enjoying your purchase but yes, it does suck.... Or, you can ask your dealership for a loaner boat while they are trying to fix yours...

Comment

Do they really do that?
                RZ2hot4U!

Comment

Some do but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Comment

I am going to ask!
                    RZ2hot4U!

Comment

We took the RZ2 in to be looked at on Wed. (FYI: I am no boat mechanic expert so I hope this makes sense.... this is the way I understand it) Service says after checking it on the computer.... it read low voltage. Although they could not find any low voltage issues (?) Plugs are fine, fuel filter is fine, no water in the gas, etc. They reprogrammed and everything read fine. Voltage fine, etc.... We were told they could give us back the boat and it looks like it may have been a setting and we should be fine on the lake. They offered to run it on the lake for us to "test" it. We opted to have them test it and they ran it on the lake this morning and it did the same thing; wont go over 3000 rpm. Sluggish power out of the hole. The rpms will rev up over 3000 rpms, in netural and we were told the engine "runs" good and sounds fine. They said it felt like a problem with the prop. They checked it and it looked great. Keith (service) contacted marine power and they are sending some instructions for the exact programming for the calibration system, ECM. Eddie at Marine Power has the same engine and prop set us as our RZ2. His runs beautifully (lucky guy)! We are now told that Kieth needs to read the programming instructions and re-program the engine. They will run the boat tonight and see if it changes.

My husband and I are are so BUMMED! We purchased the new RZ2 on 6/25 and have not been able to play or have one day without issues with this boat. Only 11 hours on the boat ..... No wakeboarding, surfing or skiing! This sucks!

Does anyone have any experience with this and just wondering what you all think about this? (We are new to inboards... our last boat was an outboard)
                      We had some intermittent issues all last year. The fact that you stated that the ECM noted a low voltage code makes me think that It could be a similar problem as ours.

Dont know if this issue has been addressed on the 07's, but on the 06's w/EIDB (duel batteries), If the ECM sees a difference in voltage from the 2 batteries, it will revert to a "limp home" mode.

It might not hurt to have them check the alternator, batteries, and all the connections. Good luck and keep us updated.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                        Dont know if this issue has been addressed on the 07's, but on the 06's w/EIDB (duel batteries), If the ECM sees a difference in voltage from the 2 batteries, it will revert to a "limp home" mode.
                        Sounds like that might be it.
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                          We had some intermittent issues all last year. The fact that you stated that the ECM noted a low voltage code makes me think that It could be a similar problem as ours.

It might not hurt to have them check the alternator, batteries, and all the connections. Good luck and keep us updated.
                          They indicated they checked the batteries, alternator, connections and everything looked fine. In fact, when they got it off the lake this morning...they did not get the low voltage code??????

Just heard back from dealer.... during the reprogramming the system froze (?). They have to order a chip to be able to continue the reprogramming/upgrade.
                          They will have the chip in tomorrow and we will see if the reprogramming/upgrade works.

Thanks so much for the input!
                          RZ2hot4U!

Comment

We took the RZ2 in to be looked at on Wed.

We have a new 22i with the Marine Power 340 and have the bad vibration, (prop is fine), loss of power and stalling. Have to cut the vacation short and try and get an appointment ( no luck so far).
                            Hope you get it straightened out soon.
                            Sorry to read of your problems.

Comment

What motor do you have? I have the 6.0 in my RZ2 it also has power problems but not as bad as yours. The prop that came with it 13.5x17.5 won't let the motor rev much over 4000 rpm.I changed to a 14.25x14.5 and it now revs good but top end at 5800rpm is 39MPH.I also have major vapor lock problems when it is above 90 outside.I think my motor is at 300 HP not 400 HP.I still have no fixes.

Comment

Working...
                              X