Condensation in the gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensation in the gas tank?

We were just up at the lake for 4 days, where I can actually dock my boat instead of pulling it every time we ride. On Tuesday night, we were out and had just got done wakeboarding. We had just started to surf. I was riding and my dad was driving. I had just gotten up and let go of the rope when the engine quit. Needless to say I just about drove my board into the boat.

Anyway, upon trying to restart, we got nothing. I let it sit for a few minutes and got it to start but it really seemed to be fuel starved. wouldnt rev very well even in neutral. I pulled the fuel/water separator, and it was only 1/2 full of gas. (didn't want to dump it into the lake to see if there was water in it) I put it back, and we emptied the fun bags. Two of the guys swam to shore to get a tow in (out of 8 people no one brought a phone...unbelievable these days)

Just as they were coming out with a guy in his pontoon, I got it to start and it seemed to rev ok. I put it in gear and it ran fine all 3 miles back up the lake. I pulled it out, thinking I was just low on gas, but it only took 20 gallons so it was about 1/2 full. Later that night, we tried again, and just as we got out, it started to dog me again. I was able to keep it running, and eventually it worked out whatever was causing it (self-healing boat ) and its been fine ever since. We rode for 4 hours last night with no probs.

Ok, long explaination....but....anyone have any ideas what might have been causing it?
    Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

Maybe you got some bad gas. Try using some of the fuel freshener and see if that cures your problem.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Time for a new fuel filter. There are some products you can buy to burn off excess water in the tanks. I always would add 1 to 4 mix of 110 octane racing fuel with regular 87 but would hesitate to do so with my Tige (I did this with my 454 on my jet). I would talk to Tige about what products are ok to use and what not to use.
      Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Coach View Post
        Time for a new fuel filter.
        Fuel filter, which is different from the fuel/water separator, right? The fuel/water separator looks a whole lot like an oil filter. We're not talking that, right?

Comment

We just had the same thing happen last week at Lake Powell. I just changed out the Fuel/Water Separator before we left. At first I thought it was just some air in the lines or something. When it happened the second time (next day) I noticed both times it happened we were driving hard (skiing and cruising) and then directly stopped for lunch/floating. I could always get it restarted by pumping the throttle for about 10 pumps until it smoothed out and we were on our way. I thought maybe vapor lock or something since we were driving it hard and then stopping for quite a while. I am not aware of another fuel filter on the boat. I also noticed the fuel pump making a high pitched whining noise after the second episode. The little blue drain plug was dripping water also. I need to replace all of them and get some spares.
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by jleger98 View Post
            Fuel filter, which is different from the fuel/water separator, right? The fuel/water separator looks a whole lot like an oil filter. We're not talking that, right?
            That is what I meant is the fuel/ water separator which looks like an oil filter.
            Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks Coach. I'll see about getting new one.

TeamAllen: frustrating aint it? I had a boat full of people most of who had never been out on my boat before. Heck of a first impression.

Comment

Working...
              X