Idle and Dying Problem on 24V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle and Dying Problem on 24V

My 24V has been acting up intermittently lately, and it's getting really bad now. The alarm sounds and either the engine dies, or the rpms surge between 200 and 1200 rpms at idle. Sometimes smells rich during these times. I'm ordering a Diacom Marine diagnostic package as well, if anyone knows what I should be looking at when this symptom reoccurs.

Thanks!

I had these symptoms when my battery started going. The alternator doesn't produce enough juice with all the accessories I run. My PerfectPass would reset constantly, like it was rebooting.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

How many hrs and what engine , and what services have been done so far.

Comment

When is the last time you ran the boat????? You could have old gas/moisture in you gas, go fill it up with 91 and see if you are still having this same problem..... This happened to 69bug's boat last trip.... we filled it up with 91 and put some flue system cleaner and next day the boat ran perfect...
        Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

To answer all of these questions:

1. I don't think it's a low battery. I had that issue with my last boat and these are distinctly different symptoms. And Perfect Pass isn't resetting. Plus, I charged both batteries recently on this boat, and the voltage reads over 13V.

2. It's a 2004 24V Marine Power 6.0 engine.

3. We get our gas from the marina, so it only uses 91 octane. We take it out three times or more each week. No other boats from my marina, that I know of, are having fuel related issues.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Sound like a sensor then or perhaps one of those ECMs.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

That's what I'm thinking as well. Hopefully this Diacom equipment will tell me what I need to know for sure. Thanks.

Comment

Okay, we hooked the Diacom up to the ECM, and pulled two codes:

MAP voltage high
                TPS voltage low

So, at some point the throttle position was below idle (like when it dies), and at some point, the manifold pressure was high...

We cleared the codes and tried to get it to act up. Of course, it wouldn't! Anyone had experience with these codes? I don't just want to start throwing parts on this thing...could one of these codes caused the other?

Comment

Marine power has a tech support line,the guys name is John and he knows these engines insde ond out.I had a simaler problem and he told me tige is having problems with the ignition switch and tachs.Mine was the switch an ignition module.Good luck.

Comment

Your lowest number codes can cause your upper codes , so you need to test the tps and the map and see what kind of readings you get , the tps doesnt change with the idle, the only time it changes is when you move the throtle.The map can change with the idle change , do to intake vacuumn changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X