Oil gauge gone wild - part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil gauge gone wild - part II

The local Tige dealer (100 miles away) thinks my bouncing oil pressure gauge is due to a bad sending unit and he does not have one in stock. He suggested the local automotive parts house that said they had 6 different ones and suggested to call a local marine repair shop here in Tucson. The local shop said they need the gauge pressures (0-80, or 0-100) and the gauge manufacturer. My boat is at the lake 150 miles away so please let me know this info if you have access to a 2005 for this info.
    Or any other ideas why the needle goes nuts. The engine is full of oil and only has about 60 hours. Thanks-TD

I agree with your dealer, a rapidly fluctuating oil pressure gauge 99.9% of the time is a sending unit. There are different senders so you not only must have the proper thread (most are 1/8 NPT) it must match the impedance of the gauge. Get the right one from dealer/boat supply store.

Comment

Check skidim.....
      http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1041

The one I need is here.
      http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R020001

http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

That looks like the one-I assume they are all the same for Tiges.

Comment

Its all the same for GM. That is a General Motors style sending unit.
          http://www.wakeboatworld.com
          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

BofN never did fix mine after two attempts. When the boat is idling its fine but when the engine gets a load on it above 2,500 rpm it drops to 0. The boat runs fine, should I be worried about it?
            "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
            "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

When you say it goes to zero when you put it under load at 2500 rpm, is that in gear going to planing speed, or just in neutral? If it goes to zero when the bow rises on initial accelleration, sounds like maybe the oil sump has fallen off of the oil pump. I would believe my gauge until I ruled it out for sure, no oil pressure will toast an engine quick. I have seen this happen on a car before, and the oil pressure would go to zero when the car made a sharp turn.

Comment

Originally posted by evil0ne View Post
                BofN never did fix mine after two attempts. When the boat is idling its fine but when the engine gets a load on it above 2,500 rpm it drops to 0. The boat runs fine, should I be worried about it?
                What parts did they through at it? Did the Tech "T" put in a manual gauge and verify what the pressure is doing while the gauge freaks out?

With the key on, unplug the sender terminal and ground it. The gauge should sweep over to max pressure.

If so, sending unit bad or loss of oil pressure is the cause. If it does not sweep to max, bad gauge or intermittent open ckt in wire between gauge and sender.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  What parts did they through at it? Did the Tech "T" put in a manual gauge and verify what the pressure is doing while the gauge freaks out?

With the key on, unplug the sender terminal and ground it. The gauge should sweep over to max pressure.

If so, sending unit bad or loss of oil pressure is the cause. If it does not sweep to max, bad gauge or intermittent open ckt in wire between gauge and sender.
                  They can't duplicate it at the shop but as soon as I get on the water it starts freaking out. I'm going to see if they'll go on a water test one day.
                  "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
                  "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Sounds like a wiring issue if it acts differently. Put a mechanical gauge on it like chpthril said and verify the pressure are good and then start troubleshooting.

Comment

Mine has two senders, one of which goes to the computer and the other to the gauge. The gauge checks out so a new sending unit is on the way. The computer would send an alarm if no pressure is prsent. More this weekend.

Comment

A new Faria sending unit fixed the problem. Best $30.00 spent to date other than gas to ride on glass early in the morning...

Comment

Working...
                        X