Trailer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer question

So I know its going to be tough to tow my 21i with my '84 blazer not because she doesn't have the power but because the trailer will pull me all over the road.

My neighbor suggested that I get an equalizer hitch. I am not familiar with this. He told me that it helps distribute the weight of the trailer better on the tow vehicle. I guess the big thing to notice is that you don't get that back end sag from a heavy trailer.
    I went and talked to a guy at the local hitch installing place and he said it would work if I have electric brakes on the trailer but not if they are hydrolic. Because my boat and trailer are currently five states away I can't go look at it to see. Does anyone know what type of barkes there are on a 2004 Prestige tandem axel trailer?

And does anyone have any feed back on a equalizing hitch?

You most likely do not have electric brakes. You would have surge brakes. There is a company that makes an equilizer hitch for surge brakes. Here is a link to that companies website.
    http://www.equalizerhitch.com/produc...patibility.php
    Let it be!!!

Comment

Here's my , for what it's worth ( )

The biggest thing that makes one squirrely on the highway is too much/too little tongue weight.

With a tandem axle, I dont think it will have too much tongue weight, so the sag will be minimal, but it will sag some.

The function of the weight dist, hitch is to compensate for too much tongue weight, like on a big travel or horse trailer, so it would work, I think. But, I believe an easier and cheaper solution would be a set of Helper Springs in the rear end, or even a new pair of leafs with a heavier load rating.

The goal is to have the truck level front to back and the trailer level from tongue to taillights. If you can achieve this, she will go down the road good.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We use to tow our 21ft SeaRay (3500lbs dry) with a 1990 Bronco 4x4 and never had any problem's
        Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Take a scale outside, rule of thumb is 10% total weight of the trailer and boat should be on the tongue, if you are less than that you will need to shift the boat forward on the trailer and that should solve your issues. We tow my 24v with the wife's tahoe with no issues, granted I know the tahoe has a longer wheel base but not that much longer and the 24v with trailer is a lot heavier and longer.

Something else to check, jack up the trailer and make sure all your wheels are spinning free, you could have a brake locking up on one tire which would give you problems.

Also, and this is tough to be exact on, make sure the axles on the trailer are spaced evenly, if one is a little out of kilter you will never get the trailer to track strait.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by five o'clock View Post
            So I know its going to be tough to tow my 21i with my '84 blazer not because she doesn't have the power but because the trailer will pull me all over the road.

My neighbor suggested that I get an equalizer hitch. I am not familiar with this. He told me that it helps distribute the weight of the trailer better on the tow vehicle. I guess the big thing to notice is that you don't get that back end sag from a heavy trailer.
            I went and talked to a guy at the local hitch installing place and he said it would work if I have electric brakes on the trailer but not if they are hydrolic. Because my boat and trailer are currently five states away I can't go look at it to see. Does anyone know what type of barkes there are on a 2004 Prestige tandem axel trailer?

And does anyone have any feed back on a equalizing hitch?
            Our 2005 Prestige trailer has surge brakes.
            "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

I used this product on an older Toyota Pickup with great success.

http://www.drivetrain.com/activesuspension.html
              http://www.activesuspension.com/
              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
              X