Another TAPS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another TAPS ?

I have read all the threads on TAPS and I could not find an answer to my problem.

I have 97 pre 2200v. The TAPS plate will only move a 1/4 an inch. I can hear the TAPS system when I press the switch but nothing happens. I could not find the oil resivor to check the level of the fluid.

Our 2000 21V was doing the same thing - plate only moving a 1/4" to 1/2". The pump resevoir was low. After talking to the guys at Bennet they said the plate should move about 1 1/4". One of my rams is leaking and they sent me an O-ring service kit for free. The rams are capable of over 2" of throw, but Tige specified 1 1/4" for their application. I don't know where the pump is on your boat - follow the pump noise or the tubes from the rams. It's a unit about 6" square and 8" high with 2 black 1/4" high-pressure nylon tubes connected to a brass fitting on one end. The resevoir in on top of the pump. The fill port is in a corner under the plastic top cover. It might be under a seat or in the compartment in front of the driver or passenger.

Comment

Mine is located behind the observers seat. Down on the ground under a carpeted box to the left.
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Definitely sounds like you're down on fluid. Do you have any fluid leaking onto the plate? My pump and res. are located in the helm dry storage.

R&T- The folks at Bennett are great, aren't they? I had the same problem and ended up breaking the leaky ram while trying to replace it. They shipped me a new one for free even though I'm stupid.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Pump for the PRE series is located on the drivers side at the rear, pull the rear seat out (backrest) and you will see it sitting in the side.

Comment

I think I found it under a box with carpet on it. The box was located in the far right back side of the boat. After I rmoved the box I removed a clear plastic box to find a pump / motor. It looks like I need to remove a rubber tip to put fluid in it. What type of hydraulic fluid and how much? Do I need to bleed the system after I put fluid in it?

Comment

It is transmission fluid. Dextron 3?????
              http://www.wakeboatworld.com
              []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Thanks. The reservoir is half empty. How much fluid do I put in it? I could not find any leaks so I'm curious why it got low.

Comment

From bennetttrimtabs.com
                  What type of fluid do I use in the hydraulic power unit, and where do I add it?

Use any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Don't worry about the exact brand or type, it will all work, and can even be mixed. To add fluid, remove the lexan cover on the HPU, locate the "filler stack" in the left front corner of the reservoir. There is a round plug sealing the filler stack. Remove the plug and add fluid to the full line on the reservoir. Note: add fluid only with the trim tabs fully retracted (up). If your reservoir does not have a full line, add fluid so the fluid level is aprox. 1" below the top of the reservoir with the Trim Tabs fully retracted (up). Your Bennett Trim Tab system should not need refilling, for several seasons.
                  And from the owners manual located here
                  http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/ownman.pdf

• Periodically, check fluid level in HPU. With trim tabs completely retracted, fluid
                  level should be about 2” from bottom of reservoir (approximately 22 ounces).
                  To refill, remove lexan cover and filler plug located at the front left hand
                  corner of the reservoir. FILL WITH ANY TYPE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
                  FLUID (ATF) ONLY. Brands or types of ATF can be mixed. Running HPU with
                  an excess or lack of fluid will not cause damage.
                  []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Ok I added some ATF fluid and the tabs are only moving a half an inch. I can hear the motor / pump. When I press up on the switch I can hear it run than I hear a gurgle noise. It sounds like me when I'm rinse my mout with scope.

Comment

Originally posted by ktm450exc View Post
                      Ok I added some ATF fluid and the tabs are only moving a half an inch. I can hear the motor / pump. When I press up on the switch I can hear it run than I hear a gurgle noise. It sounds like me when I'm rinse my mout with scope.
                      Did you get this figured out? sounds like you have air in the lines or in the pump itself.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Full up, full down a few times. Assist it if you have to, and the air will finally bleed out.
                        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

It's working. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by imscarlet View Post
                            Pump for the PRE series is located on the drivers side at the rear, pull the rear seat out (backrest) and you will see it sitting in the side.

Not for all PRE series. Mine, (and TeamAllens) are in the compartment behind the ovserver's seat under a carpeted box.
                            Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

Comment

Anyone happen to know where the reservoir would be on a 2002 20i?? I think I need to add fluid!! Thanks in advance!

-Quick

Comment

Working...
                              X