2003 22v engine bogging down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 22v engine bogging down

Hey guys this is my first post and I need some help. Last weekend I took my 22V out for the first time this season and it's having some problems. Every time I throttle down and get up to speed the engine bogs down. If at this point I back off the throttle and then throttle down again it gets up to speed and then bogs back down. The only time it doesn't do this is when I don't throttle all the way up and then it will run just above idle with no problems. At the end of the season I always put in the fuel stabilizer before I put it away for the winter. Is there anything I can try without having to take the boat in? I've kept all the maintenance up to date on the boat. Could it be a fuel filter? Bad gas in the boat?

Thanks,

Tom
    matrix1977@gmail.com

Originally posted by matrix1977 View Post
    Hey guys this is my first post and I need some help. Last weekend I took my 22V out for the first time this season and it's having some problems. Every time I throttle down and get up to speed the engine bogs down. If at this point I back off the throttle and then throttle down again it gets up to speed and then bogs back down. The only time it doesn't do this is when I don't throttle all the way up and then it will run just above idle with no problems. At the end of the season I always put in the fuel stabilizer before I put it away for the winter. Is there anything I can try without having to take the boat in? I've kept all the maintenance up to date on the boat. Could it be a fuel filter? Bad gas in the boat?

Thanks,

Tom
    matrix1977@gmail.com
    When you say "bog down" your saying that the engine speed will drop off or stop increasing and the boat speed slows down?

Could be water in the tank and there for water has filled up the fuel/water separator and the engine is starving for fuel at heavy loads and high RPM's.

Could be a partially blocked pick-up in the tank or a kinked/pinched fuel supply hose. Also low fuel pressure due to a weak pump.

A plugged exhaust could also cause this symptom, but not as likely as on cars.

I would pull the fuel filter and drain it into a clear glass jar and see what it looks like. Also, how old is the fuel in the tank?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My first thought was chpthril's last suggestion of fuel filter.

Didn't think about the water being in the tank because you said that you added a fuel preservative. Normal fuel preservatives will be effective if you put the right about into the tank and yo filled your tank that majority of the way.

But, chpthril is definite pointing out some things to look at and a great suggestion to look at first.

Comment

Also check while somebody turns the key on and see if both fuel pumps are running , the low pressure pump sometimes quits and will make the engine bog because of a lack of fuel to the high pressure pump. If everything else checks out ok there is a screen in the low pressure pump that gets clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          When you say "bog down" your saying that the engine speed will drop off or stop increasing and the boat speed slows down?

Could be water in the tank and there for water has filled up the fuel/water separator and the engine is starving for fuel at heavy loads and high RPM's.

Could be a partially blocked pick-up in the tank or a kinked/pinched fuel supply hose. Also low fuel pressure due to a weak pump.

A plugged exhaust could also cause this symptom, but not as likely as on cars.

I would pull the fuel filter and drain it into a clear glass jar and see what it looks like. Also, how old is the fuel in the tank?
          Yes your description of "bog down" is correct. I'm going to check out what you suggested and I'll let you guys know what I find out. Can I run these tests out of the water with the boat hooked up to the hose?

Thanks for all your help!!

Comment

If your engine is running, you should have the Fake-a-lake attached.....

Comment

Yes your description of "bog down" is correct. I'm going to check out what you suggested and I'll let you guys know what I find out. Can I run these tests out of the water with the boat hooked up to the hose?

Thanks for all your help!!
              Yah, should be able to fix it in the driveway.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                If your engine is running, you should have the Fake-a-lake attached.....
                Yep I always do when I run it out of the water. I just was making sure.

Comment

Yep I always do when I run it out of the water. I just was making sure.
                  Good, for a second I thought you might be losing your marbles if you know what I mean.

Comment

Good, for a second I thought you might be losing your marbles if you know what I mean.
                    Another quick question and I'm just making sure. When I do turn my boat over out of the water with the fake a lake hooked up, I usually just run in idle. Can I throttle down and turn the screw without worries?

Comment

Another quick question and I'm just making sure. When I do turn my boat over out of the water with the fake a lake hooked up, I usually just run in idle. Can I throttle down and turn the screw without worries?

If you increase RPM you are definately want to run in "fast idle" I think its bad for the strut to turn the prop out of water.
                      Common Sense is not so Common
                      Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

It is not suggested that you rev the engine while it is under the Fake-A-Lake. However, it can be done, just make sure the prop is in neutrel and is not spinning and DO NOT do it for too long..... Others might have another opinion on this one though.....

Comment

The throttle should have a lever that you push in to have the engine rev while the prop does not spin... That is what is on my boat. Others??????

Comment

The throttle should have a lever that you push in to have the engine rev while the prop does not spin... That is what is on my boat. Others??????
                            Yes on the throttle there is a button you push in or out that allows to rev the engine without engaging the transmition.(so its like neutral on a car)
                            Depending on how much water your pumping into the engine determines how high of an RPM you run at (some people use a Y connecter to have 2 hoses), i dont think you want to go too high, i think like 1000 RPM, maybe im not sure.
                            Common Sense is not so Common
                            Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Zad, I agree. If he does small quick tests, then he might be okay but I would not do this for any length of time......

Comment

Working...
                              X