Making sure I got everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making sure I got everything

I am unwinterizing my boat myself after I paid 150 bucks for winterizing. I had a bag with 5 plugs and 2 clamps in the glovebox. I put the hoses back on with the clamps and I found the following places for the plugs:

Starboard side block and bottom of manifold
    Port side block with temp sensor, bottom of manifold and bottom of cool fuel tube

I also bought an impeller. I assume the impeller is in the housing on the lower starboard side of the engine with the two large hoses. Do you just unhook the hoses and pull the back off? I'm going to remove the old one and roll it around and if it doesn't break just put it back in and save the new one.

Did I miss anything? I saw a hose laying in the bilge with a cap on it and wondered what the heck it was then realized it was connected to the bottom of the oil pan for draining the pan.

Do I need to replace the fuel filter or change the oil?

I also bought an impeller. I assume the impeller is in the housing on the lower starboard side of the engine with the two large hoses. Do you just unhook the hoses and pull the back off? I'm going to remove the old one and roll it around and if it doesn't break just put it back in and save the new one.
    The Impeller should be replaced regardless of looks or feel on a regular basis. Before you pull it out, pay attention to which direction the blades are curled so the new one will go in the same way. Sometimes a little silicone, ky will help the new impeller slide in. Also inspect the housing for scoring or rubber tranfer from the old impeller.

Do I need to replace the fuel filter or change the oil?
    Check your winterizer receipt, I would think that the boat shop would have an oil change and f/w filter as part of it's service winterizing but $150 seems a little light.

If no oil change was done, then yes, do it. I highly recommend to change oil at the end of season as part of winterizing. Used oil becomes caustic and can eat/pit the soft metals in the engine like bearings and pistons.

Next year, winterize it your self and save the $$$
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks, I might as well change the impeller as it will be open anyway. I have the stuff to do the oil change so that will be on the list. It seems like it will be super easy with the drain hose connected to the pan. It's got Mercruiser filters on it now so I will just keep using the same brand.

Comment

Yeah, just change the impeller.

How about the fuel filter/seperator thing?

Check: Plugs? Cap & Rotor? Belt?
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I changed the impeller (old one was cracked in a couple of spots), changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and got a new battery to go with the existing one with one of those battery switches. I'll be putting it in the water tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X