Squeal when in drive at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeal when in drive at idle

I have recently developed a squeal that comes from the drive when it is in gear and at idle. It goes away as soon as as I bump the throttle past idle (about 1000 RPM). It sounds very similar to the reverse whine just not nearly as loud. Anyone else have this problem? Does this sound like the prop shaft strut bushings? If so can I just replace the bushings or do I have to get a whole new strut?

I'll take the lack of replies as this is not a common problem. Where are the Tige experts out there?! Help a brother out!

Comment

Originally posted by Armstrong6 View Post
      I'll take the lack of replies as this is not a common problem. Where are the Tige experts out there?! Help a brother out!
      Could it be something as simple as a loose belt? when you say "idle" do you mean "neutral" or do you mean in gear but no throttle speed?
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        Could it be something as simple as a loose belt? when you say "idle" do you mean "neutral" or do you mean in gear but no throttle speed?
        would think this would also be the case. I know when my car starts to do this it's because the belt is lose and needs to be tighten or water (for some unknown reason) got onto the belt.

Comment

i'd check the shaft bushings, belt, and impeller on the raw water pump. those are all rubber things that end up eventually squeaking.

Comment

My first thought is the shaft bushings as well

Comment

I would first try to determine where the noise is coming from , the front of the engine or the rear or from under the boat , then we can steer you from there.

Comment

I am with Fic on this, we need a starting point.
                Tige, it's a way of life!

Comment

My original thoughts were that it was the strut shaft bushings, the dealer's mechanic said these go out after a few years and it is coming from that vicinity, definitely something from the drive section. I am wondering if you can replace these bushings without replacing the shaft assy.

Comment

Working...
                  X