Weird - No Taps, No Radio, No Heater, No Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird - No Taps, No Radio, No Heater, No Lights

Ok, so I'm thinking I need to run down to the lake with a volt meter, but after taking the new boat out this last weekend - fresh out of storage (5 hours on the engine) - some things are painfully askew. The boat is running great, however the taps, the radio, the heater, and the lights don't seem to be powered up. I checked the breaker box below the dash, toggled those on/off switches, and checked the breakers - after that Speedset was working (it wasn't before). I also checked the fuse off the battery (60 amp, I think is for taps) and it looked good as well. I double checked all the battery wires, which I did unhook this winter, and red's are on positive, blacks are on negative - and I didn't see any that I missed.

Any body have any suggestions? I emailed the dealer yesterday, but I haven't heard back from them - my message is probably sitting in their junk mail box. I haven't had a chance to call them, as I have been swamped at work - but if nothing turns up here, I'll be checking with them tomorrow for sure. Thanks

Want me to be the middle man, I'll call 'em for you scnce its Long Distance.
    The sun never sets on a badass

Comment

Too late now, there closed...but I could try anyways or tomorrow if you want.
      The sun never sets on a badass

Comment

On the surface it sounds like you missed reconnecting a ground wire somewhere. Had that happen on an old boat I owned. Saw 2 reds, and connected 2 blacks to the battery, found a 3rd black wire hidden behind a panel.

Comment

get under the dash and just start pushing every connector together cuz one may be loose. I have had something like that happen before and that fixed it some how
          Everything happens for a reason
          I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

So far no luck - dealer also suggested that I missed a ground cable - so I took the battery out and searched for a loose cable. Didn't find anything. At their request, I took some pics last night to see if they have any suggestions.

I also looked under the dash and checked every connector I could find, and they all felt solid.

Hopefully they have a next step for me, that doesn't require a 4 hour trip to the shop. We'll see today.

A good tip they gave me (albeit a late one) - was that when you unhook your battery in the fall, to zip tie through the holes so you don't loose a connector. While I don't think thats my problem, it still sounded like a good idea.

Comment

I had something similar happen and it was the main fuse by the batteries. You might want to double check that fuse and maybe even put a new one in just to see what happens.

Comment

I had the same issue last year. It was the fuse off the battery for the TAPS! Made other electrical gremlins appear? Once replaced, all was good with the world.

Comment

So after some phone tag and some camera phone pics (don't want to take the boat to the dealer because they are 4 hours away) the problem has been solved.

It turns out - I had three wires incorrect.

1) There is a Black wire with a red end - which I assumed was positive - nope, its a ground for the radio, go figure - no damage done.

2) A brown thin wire with a black end - this is the positive for something, can't remember what they said - no damage done.

3) A wire loomed red wire - had I pulled back the wire loom, I would have saw this - had on negative, moved to positive no damage done.

Luckily, since I had most of my mistakes connecting to negative (instead of connecting to positive) nothing seems to be affected and all is working again. A big thanks to Joel Rauch at Stateamind Water Sports in St Louis for walking me through it over the phone.

Comment

I had the same problem. In fact, I was just checking these posts to see if anyone new how to fix my inop electrical panel. I am going to try and see if I can follow what you did and hopefully fix the problem before it runs a week of skiing.

Comment

I had three + cables going to the battery. I only connected two while the third controlled the TAPS and panel lights. Let me know if this solves your problem.

Comment

There are also 2 inline fuses right off the ignition switch that can fry and have an effect on your instruments.
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by jschnip View Post
                          1) There is a Black wire with a red end - which I assumed was positive - nope, its a ground for the radio, go figure - no damage done.
                          Whoever makes a black wire with a red end should probably lose their job.

Glad that you got it figured out. Seems like an easy mistake to make.
                          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

You can get surface mount posts for all the positive and negative wires to collect them in one place. Then run one larger red & black wire to the battery to simplify the hook up.

Or:

When I added a second battery I also added a selector switch. I added a wire from the + battery terminals (Main & Aux) of the selector switch to terminal strips (Main & Aux) and connected all the +'s to those. I added another ground wire from the engine block to a terminal strip and connected all the -'s to that. Now the only cables that go the batteries are the 2/00 cables. This also moves the smaller wires away from the corrosive battery terminal area.

Comment

Working...
                            X