Taps Broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taps Broken?

Ok to start off I looked all over the posts and did not find anything that had a answer for my problem and if there is well..sorry haha

I took my boat out of "hibernation" and took if for a spin the other day it was a bit choppy so i decided to use the taps only to find out that THEY DON'T WORK. They are usually stuck at seven but sometimes will decide to go to one but after turning the boat off they go back to seven like normal. I was just wondering if their is anything I can do to make them work. If not I'm just going to take it down to my dealer.

Any help would be great
    Thanks
    The only difference between stupidity and genuis is that genius has its limits.

Have you checked to see if the TAPS plate is moving? I know my TAPS guage will intermittently not work, but if i tap it a few times it gets unstuck. My TAPS plate always moves. I only ever need the guage to see where it currently is. Most of the time, I just look at my wake to see if it needs cleaning up.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Yes I have checked to see if my taps is moving and it does not move at all. What I have noticed though is when the taps are at seven and i put them down it will go only to six then back to seven.

Comment

My TAPS was doing the same thing and then everything stopped working all together. I first checked the TAPS fuse which is a small box shaped fuse located right next to the battery (on red wire). I changed that and it did nothing. Next, I located my TAPS relay under my steering column (its a small black box 2" x 2" and mine had 8 wires coming out but the new versions have 9 wires). My TAPS relay was soo hot i could barely touch it even if the boat had been off for days. I just purchased a new relay $130 from a Tige dealer that I don't live close to at all. I will hopefully have it by the end of the week. I beleive this is the remedy. Check out other TAPS posts.
        Last edited by bake0296; 04-11-2007, 03:27 AM.
        ~Bakes~

Comment

Originally posted by make_a_wake View Post
          Yes I have checked to see if my taps is moving and it does not move at all. What I have noticed though is when the taps are at seven and i put them down it will go only to six then back to seven.
          I'd check the TAPS reservoir to make sure you're not missing fluid.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Do you have the bennet hydraulic system or the lenco electric system , most 05s had the lenco and they were common to have the controler box to go bad. Its a box under your dash about 3x 5 in dimentions , if its the lenco you will see a wire harness going out of the transom and into the top of the ram.

Comment

Both the hydraulic and electric systems have had a few problems. I had the hydraulic on my '01 and it had a few warrantee fixes. And the actuator on my '04 went last year (leaked water into it) and also was warranteed. And I've heard that the controllers can fail along with the wiring from the switch in the throttle. I'd take it to the dealer and let him sort it out- and it should still be covered.

Comment

Originally posted by bake0296 View Post
                My TAPS was doing the same thing and then everything stopped working all together. I first checked the TAPS fuse which is a small box shaped fuse located right next to the battery (on red wire). I changed that and it did nothing. Next, I located my TAPS relay under my steering column (its a small black box 2" x 2" and mine had 8 wires coming out but the new versions have 9 wires). My TAPS relay was soo hot i could barely touch it even if the boat had been off for days. I just purchased a new relay $130 from a Tige dealer that I don't live close to at all. I will hopefully have it by the end of the week. I beleive this is the remedy. Check out other TAPS posts.
                Here is the fuse under the dash. It is the yellow cover and as you can see, it is fairly close the relay and switches:
                Attached Files

Comment

TAPS

Greetings TAPS problem people, after putting in a new TAPS fuse, new TAPS relay, checking fluids, and finally checking WIRING IN THE THROTTLE HANDLE, i have come to find the wires frayed. The wiring from under the dash to your throttle handle consists of three wires (RED, Black, White). They are very very thin cheap wires. As they pass through the side wall into the throttle handle they are subjected to being frayed very easily (Since they are not wrapped in electrical tape). I would urge everyone to check yours, it is super easy to use a allen wrench and pull the throttle bulb and arm off. Once you do that, check the wires, if they are good, put some electrical tape on them to keep them that way. On my 2003 the wires were frayed in 3 places, right where they came through the wall, the bottom of the handle, and up where the handle meets the bulb (right where you pull up the round piece to put the boat in gear). I am now waiting for a new TAPS trim switch to put in the handle and will then be able to test if I even need the new relay (my guess is no). With so many things that can happen to the TAPS (bad pump, air in lines, low fluid, bad relay, bad fuse) you forget to check the simple things. Preventive maintenance on this could save you later on.
                  ~Bakes~

Comment

This is why I like coming here, good info like this.
                    I'm on a boat man. I got my flippy floppies....

Comment

Originally posted by rushin View Post
                      This is why I like coming here, good info like this.

You said it all there Rushin
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Hey
                        I haven't been on for a while
                        I was on vacation, haha.
                        Thanks for all the tips
                        I'm going to see if I can fix them tomorrow then if not I'll just phone my dealer

Oh one more thing
                        could anyone tell me
                        how to access the taps reservoir
                        I've tired to locate it in the back unsuccessfully.
                        Last edited by make_a_wake; 04-21-2007, 05:45 AM.

Comment

If you have a 21i and it's like my 2003 20i, it is back in the cubby under the drivers side windshield. Their is a small square carpeted box on the left side, take out the screws on the bottom holding it down (mine had 2). It has a black clear top which you can see the small motor and the bottom is white and you can see the fluid under it (fluid is red). It has a small wire harness running to it with black, yellow, green, and blue wires.

Cheers
                          ~Bakes~

Comment

Dear blake0296
                            My boat does not appear to have the reservoir in the same location as your boat I have searched top and bottom to find it but just can't find it. I talked to my dealer he said he's swamped and can't bring my boat in for about 2 weeks or so. Guess I'll just have to wait it out . Anyone else know where the taps reservoir is on a 05 21i?

Comment

I do not think the "05's have a reservior. I think they are electric or maybe some of them.
                              I'm on a boat man. I got my flippy floppies....

Comment

Working...
                              X