No announcement yet.

Impeller issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodger - I installed the strainer in the same place as bk3104 did - between the raw water intake and the first cooler.

bk3104 - is your first cooler the trans or V-drive? Our setup is intake, V-drive, raw water pump, trans cooler, fuel cooler, thermo housing.

I just checked eBay and didn't see our strainer listed anymore. I haven't seen it anywhere else. It's a large cast stainless bucket with a stainless perforated basket inside and a plexiglass viewing plate screwed on top. Most marine stores have some type of strainer. I prefer brass or stainless housings.

I'll be checking out my latest addition in 2 weeks. I put a small brass Gano radiator filter in the raw water pump outlet hose. It would catch any impeller chunks. Just pull the short length of hose between the trans cooler and pump when changing the impeller to inspect.

Comment

99% sure the first connection is trans cooler. I'll check this weekend.

Comment

BK,
        Looks like a good job on the install. I have read at least one article where a guy had a plastic flush valve fail on him and flooded, nearly sinking, his boat. Did you put a seacock on your through hull, or have you even thought of that?

VERY NICE boat, by the way!
        Last edited by rpaxton; 06-18-2007, 09:59 PM.

Comment

R&T,

Any idea what brand your filter is and roughly how much did you pay for it. I have been looking for metal filters, but all I have found are $140+ brass strainers.

Rodger

Comment

RP, no, didn't consider the potential for the strainer housing having an issue. Little to no pressure on that side of the line. Housing is pretty solid. That said I may discuss it with the service mgr next time I'm in there.

Thanks for the comments on the boat. Have about 15 hours on it now and no issues. Even my gas guage appears to be working fine. It was reading 1/2full, I added 12 gallons and it went to 3/4 full.

Comment

BK,

Thats Awesome! I am glad to hear that Tige finally fixed the gas gauge issue! I can wakeboard almost all day and it always reads full!!!! That is great until I pull into the pumps and find out it should be reading more like 1/2 or 1/4......... LOL Oh well!

Comment

Here's a pic of the strainer I used. Got it off eBay for around $65 and it has the letters AG cast in the side. Never seen it anywhere else. It's heavy so I made a steel angle bracket with gussets and hung it off the engine mount bolts so it wouldn't pound the bottom of the boat. I also put a brass ball valve right after the raw water pickup in case anything starts to leak. You can see it past the strainer.
                The second pic is the Gano filter I added in the output hose of the raw water pump. It would catch any chunks of rubber. I'll be taking the boat out next week to test a few things and see if it works. The Gano filters come in 3 sizes - the small 1 1/4" diameter model will fit inside the raw water hose. It's the same size as the output port. Right after the pump in our boat is the trans cooler. When I pull the raw water pump to change the impeller I can just take the hose off at the trans cooler and look in the Gano to see if there's any debris in there.

rpaxton - did you find the cause of the overheating?
                Attached Files

Comment

I just ordered a new thermostat and raw water impeller from SKIDIM. Vince at DIM is "THE MAN" with inboard stuff....
                  He was not a fan of the Globe impeller, but he did not say why. On my boat, following the impeller failure, all the pieces of the old impeller were trapped in the tranny cooler.
                  I am hoping a new thermostat ($15) will cure my temp woes.....

Comment

Working...
                  X