Can this Cooler drain be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this Cooler drain be fixed?

See attachment. This came this way from factory. Dealer "fixed" twice by appying some kind of compound that does not work. Lee or anyone, Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by MRMoffat1 View Post
    See attachment. This came this way from factory. Dealer "fixed" twice by appying some kind of compound that does not work. Lee or anyone, Any ideas?
    you could try gorilla glue or elmers makes a subsitiute of it i dont remember the name and then some sealer around the 'lip'
    The sun never sets on a badass

Comment

I think I used some kind of caulking on mine.

Still holding up great!
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
        I think I used some kind of caulking on mine.

Still holding up great!
        Whatever sealant... was used before at the factory, and again at the dealer, if I go to twist the plug a couple of times to prevent the water from draining and keeping the ice in, the drain sleave seal breaks. I end up setting the plug in without twisting, but the water drains out during the day - this does not keep beer cold in 100 deg heat all day! I don't see how gorilla glue or caulking can work here, but willing to try anything. Anyone else with ideas?
        Last edited by MRMoffat1; 03-10-2007, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Try 3m product 5200 marine sealent it normaly forms a harder seal.

Comment

Clean off all the old sealant and give both surface a light sanding, then apply some 3M 4200 or 5200 and you should be good.

Comment

What lee & FIC said. Be careful tho, 5200 sticks to everything and won't come off once it's dry.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Ditto on 5200 or 4200 fast cure . If the surface is clean and dry it will hold.....hold so well you will never get it out perhaps. I have seen 5200 de-laminate gel-coat off fiberglass, polyurethane adhesives has great bond strength.

Comment

After the dealer tried once, I took the cooler out and used JB on both sides if the drain and has beed solid so far.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

You may want to consider taking the boat back and having it fixed properly. Looks like this may be a product/design issue.

Comment

Follow the 5200 idea. Make sure you get all the old stuff off though. You might even want to take to cooler out which is not hard so you can get at both sides.

Comment

The problem is that the sealant can't resist the twisting pulling when you pull the drain out. What I did was to clean and seal like Lee said. Then I put a dowel rod down the drain, and expanded the copper at the bottom, to hold the tube a little more stationary.
                        "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

3M FTW!
                          http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
                            You may want to consider taking the boat back and having it fixed properly. Looks like this may be a product/design issue.
                            The boat has been back twice for other things and this has always been on the list. I have never really been a DIY'er until about now. I think this is probably one of a couple others of 2006 in the nickel and dime category of small quality/design issues. At least two tradegys have hit my dealer since this summer thru no fault of his own, and he is unable to deal with a lot of items right now in a timely manner. This board has a lot of good advice I can get quickly, and either DIY or pass on to my dealer.

Originally posted by spharis View Post
                            3M FTW!
                            Lee, Spharis, FIC, mtnsmith, mneal, dogbert, Tequilasun - 3M it is. Appreciate.
                            Last edited by MRMoffat1; 03-11-2007, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I was also thinking maybe of putting a stainless hoseclamp on the bottom, that way if it does spin, it would atleast stay down though???

Comment

Working...
                              X