Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on PCM EX343 Crankshaft Pulley...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on PCM EX343 Crankshaft Pulley...

There are three little bolts in a ring on the crankshaft pulley on the PCM EX343 engine, and one big bolt in the center. The washer on the center bolt is larger than the hole in the pulley, so it's obvious that you cannot remove the pulley without removing all four bolts. However... can you remove the three smaller bolts temporarily without harm, or causing the harmonic balancer to lose sync with the crankshaft?

...and a comment about PCM. Back before they were owned by CorrectCraft/Nautique, I could call them, be connected to someone with technical knowledge, and have a short but solid conversation about their engines. Now their operator simply REFUSES to let you talk to anyone. Everything is "Call the dealer that sold you the boat". Well guess what... I live in Idaho, bought the boat from a dealer in Florida who is no longer in business AFAIK, and there isn't a Tige dealer for hundreds of miles in any direction. I used to praise PCM but not anymore. I don't know if this is Nautique's doing but PCM used to be a great company and now they're !#$%@%. Yeah, maybe I'm overreacting but it seriously ticks me off when I have legitimate technical questions and people who have profited from my commerce refuse to even talk to me about their own products. I tend to heap praise on companies that treat customers right, and you can be darned certain the opposite is true too.

EX343CrankPulley2.jpg

The balancer is keyed to the crank and could very well be a press-fit. Even if not a press-fit, likely a snug fit. So if your goal is to remove the belt pulley, id say you are safe to remove 3 small and one large center bolt and remove the belt pulley.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Excellent, thank you for confirming that. It's what I suspected but I really didn't want to accidentally drop the harmonic balancer and lose registration with the crankshaft.

Comment

As Mike said above, if you want to remove the pulley, the balancer will not come off without a very special puller. However, BEWARE OF OIL LEAKS FOLLOWING REINSTALLATION!!!! Here's how to avoid an oil leak:

The center crank bolt will come out and be covered in dried silicone, clean it and the random silicone in the balancer and crank bolt hole. Apply new oil resistant silicone to the outside of the crank snout and also the threads the entire length of the bolt. The keyway in the crankshaft holding the balancer in place will leak oil past the balancer if not properly sealed when the bolt is torqued. Re-install pulley and torque to spec, 60ft-lb. You'll need to hold the flywheel in place unless using an air gun to loosen. Remove the flywheel inspection seal and use a large flat blade screwdriver in the ring gear teeth to hold the engine from turning (2 man job).
        Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Wow, that's an elaborate system for a bolt.

I'm hoping to avoid doing all of this, but wanted to be prepared if it's necessary. Definitely appreciate the expert feedback, it was exactly what I was hoping for!

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm...... Do I detect a possible engine driven pump getting installed? Perhaps one large enough to power thrusters?

Comment

We're working on lots of projects, but sometimes we're just working on our own personal boats.

Funny though, your comment generated a weird idea in my brain. One of our R&D projects is quagga mussel management for wakeboats. We've developed a completely different way to handle those, but for some reason your comment made me think "Hey, what if we powered a grinder from the engine and just ground up those little monsters." Maybe we could sell the resulting paste as a farm animal food additive or something.

Or maybe I've just seen one too many slasher flicks.

Comment

You'd sell a lot more of these "grinders" if they were used to make drinks.

Comment

I think the ground up mussel shells might be a bit crunchy for that.

Comment

Working...
                  X