Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 rzx2 steering tight?

Just got my first boat. 2017 rzx2.
    Steering is tight but I thought that was normal, until a friend asked why my steering is so tight.
    Anyone else with an rzx2 have tight steering? Or do I need a new steering cable? Boat only has 84 hours on it.
    Thanks

I had a 2017 rzx2 and I would check the rudder size I know that they had a rudder swap that helps out a ton. My dealer changed mine out and was good to go . Some of the early 17s came out with a bigger rudder and that was the issue.
    surf till u die.

Comment

That's interesting about the rudder. I've always felt my '17 had tight steering, but I never drive any other boats so I can't compare. How does one know if the steering is messed up? I'm not pulling with my weight with both hands, but not one finger either. Also, does one make these check with the boat on the trailer or at speed? My steering is light on the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
        That's interesting about the rudder. I've always felt my '17 had tight steering, but I never drive any other boats so I can't compare. How does one know if the steering is messed up? I'm not pulling with my weight with both hands, but not one finger either. Also, does one make these check with the boat on the trailer or at speed? My steering is light on the trailer.
        Steering underway should feel very similar to when sitting still. My R23 with the 537 prop had very tight steering underway, but when I put a 15x13 prop on it, the steering feeling completely changed to be very smooth and easy. I believe it had to do with some interaction between the prop and rudder. So with that thought, a rudder change to a smaller rudder could fix the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

See if your rudder box has a grease zert on it. If it does, its the later style, if not, its the old style and should be swapped if stiff.
          Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks,
            It turns easier on the trailer but is still a bit tight. I think it’s the old rudder box. I don’t see anywhere to add grease.
            Is it normal for there to be some slip/play in the wheel before it engages? An inch or so in each direction on the wheel.213EA06A-C965-4304-B9CF-5D13331BBAE8.jpg213EA06A-C965-4304-B9CF-5D13331BBAE8.jpg213EA06A-C965-4304-B9CF-5D13331BBAE8.jpg

Comment

rudder box.jpg
              Inside the boat is where the zert is :-)
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

is it me, or does the heel of the rubber look very close to the mounting flange? Like a bent rudder.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  is it me, or does the heel of the rubber look very close to the mounting flange? Like a bent rudder.
                  Has the rudder been rubbing on the plate, looks bright in that spot?

Comment

It’s a sticker or id plate. Not a rub.
                    Should I assume it’s the rudder and not the cable?
                    Is it normal for there to be an inch of slip in the steering wheel before it starts to engage/turn?
                    Thanks

Comment

Get the correct rudder put on it.
                      surf till u die.

Comment

Is the difference between the "correct rudder" and the incorrect rudder just a grease zert, or is there more to it than that? I have the grease zert so just wondering what else is different, if anything?

Comment

Is the difference between the "correct rudder" and the incorrect rudder just a grease zert, or is there more to it than that? I have the grease zert so just wondering what else is different, if anything?
                          Originally posted by Surf406 View Post
                          Some of the early 17s came out with a bigger rudder and that was the issue.
                          Surf406 says the rudder was bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For a quick look without comparing the lengths of rudders, yes, the zert is what sticks out as the different one. Just easier to explain to people that way.

Did this boat have steering issues like this when you first purchased it Kevin11 and then the dealer worked on it to make it better?
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

It’s my first ever boat so I didn’t know that it wasn’t supposed to be tight.
                              My friend drive it and asked what was wrong with the steering.
                              Pretty much need 2 Hands to turn. A bit easier when trailered but still tight.
                              Dealer didn’t do anything to it at all.
                              Said they didn’t think it was tight.....
                              Is your steering tight too #unstuck?
                              I guess I really don’t care as long as it won’t seize up or cause a bigger issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X