2003 tige 20v stiff steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 tige 20v stiff steering

I felt that my steering was very stiff especially after driving my brother in laws boat so I replaced the steering cable, however, it doesn't seem to be any better. I had a dealer help since I couldn't get the nut off the support tube and they mentioned that the radius from the end of the rack is not ideal from factory. When I looked, I see that it basically needs to be forced in. Would this cause the stiff steering? Are there any tricks to make it one finger as I hear it should be?

Thanks in advance!

You may have an issue with your rudder seizing up. Mine has a grease zirc on it that I pump some grease into at lay up each season.

EC0CFC91-674B-4693-94A4-2B1D89B1FE27.jpg
    Last edited by Jetdriver; 10-10-2019, 02:46 AM.

Comment

I'll check that out next time I'm out in the boat! The cable is extremely tight from the helm to the sidewall with a very tight bend. I'm wondering if that is part of it as well though and if there is anyone else that has had anything similar. I can try to get a picture while I'm out there too

Comment

The tight bend could definitely be the culprit!
        Sometimes you gotta get a little creative with the routing depending on what’s been done to the boat since it was first built.

Comment

take the end of the cable off the rudder and give the wheel a spin or try grabbing the rudder and give it a pull. You should be able to isolate the problem. It it is still in the steering wheel and your cable is new than its either the tight end or the rack.

Comment

Below is an image of the installation and you can see how tight it is to the side. I wonder if turning the pinion would help (if the cable is long enough)

Comment

Backwards to me! Thus, too short. Cable should exit to the right/gunwale, and then gradually loop back to the bilge hole.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

This is the way that it was when I purchased it so maybe someone reversed it. I assume if I just change the rack that the steering would be backwards, correct? Is it easy to swap the position of the pinion?

Comment

I felt that my steering was very stiff especially after driving my brother in laws boat so I replaced the steering cable, however, it doesn't seem to be any better.
                  This is the way that it was when I purchased it so maybe someone reversed it
                  I bet the cable did need to be replaced, and someone got the wrong cable, too short. Mounted it backwards, unloaded boat.

In theory, you would just unbolt the black part form the gray part, rotate the black 180, reconnect. However, I bet the cable is too short, so not nearly enough slack to make rotation and have enough slack to leave the proper radius of cable to allow for smooth movement.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Since this is a new cable, it is an 18' which should be the factory length. After thinking, wouldn't rotating just the rack reverse the steering and I would need to also rotate the pinion?

Comment

Can't see the image. For some reason I think that year 20v had the cable to the left like that.

You can pull the wheel off, the cover on the tilt helm, remove the tilt helm and get down to the two bolts that hold the rack mount in place. Remove the two bolts, rotate 180 and put back together.

See if you have any slack in the bilge. 18' should give you enough room to run it to the starboard side and back.
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

I had another look and there is even less room to the right due to the speak placement and paneling. Is there any way to angle the rack mount (I'm not sure this would be good anyways as I would probably bang my knees). Maybe my boat is stuck with hard steering I am fairly certain the cable bend is the issue since I adjusted the angle a bit and it got harder (so I put it back). I am fearing that there aren't any options for smooth steering unless the entire steering assembly at the helm could be rotated a bit to give some more room for a better but still undesirable bend

I did manage to hit the rudder with grease but that didn't seem to help (at least on land and wont be on the water until spring). That is a real pain to get to even with a 90 degree grease coupling!

Thanks for all of the help so far!
                        Last edited by sminto; 10-11-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I have seen people run it down the starboard side gunnel area behind the shifter. Then wrap around the back seat, over the v drive then down to where it normally mounts.
                          Oh Yeah!

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear. The rack is already flush with the speaker and paneling on the right side so swapping it would not be possible without cutting some trim first and I am not even sure that would provide any additional space.

Here is a link to the original picture since I can't upload them for some reason

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48vmqk19vl...81%29.jpg?dl=0

Shawn

Comment

the stiff steering is can be custom in any vehicle. I am making diesel locomotive for sale. that cause me to know the importance of spare parts. stiff steering is most important in heavy vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X