Fuel monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel monitoring

New owner of a 2002 20i. I’ve been told that the fuel gauge will bounce and am looking into options that will give me peace of mind on the water. Everything tested fine at the dealership as far as the sender is concerned. Has anyone had experience with fuel monitoring systems? I know of a couple that live feed fuel consumption and range directly to your phone. Thanks for any input.

As long as the sender and gauge is working correctly there’s not much you can do. The tanks in these boats are long shallow tanks. When the fuel gets down you will get lots of variation because the boat is constantly pitching and rolling from the waves on the lake cause the fuel to slosh around.

I believe it’s common for tanks that are close to half full will read 100% when on plane and underway because the bow of the boat is pitched up causing the fuel to transfer to the back of the tank where the fuel pump and sender is at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Bamer, after a season I have a good idea of about how many hours I can get on a tank. Would sure be nice to have an accurate reading though. I’ll give the fuel flow sensor a whirl and see how well it works.

Comment

I fitted one of these last year- https://www.interactio.co/optio-fuel

It is brilliant. It communicates with your smart phone to give you accurate fuel readings. It will tell you how much fuel you have left and can even give you a warning at a user set fuel level. You just have to remember to add the fuel in the app when you fill up.

I purposely set the fuel tank volume lower than its actual capacity to give me a bit of reserve. I needed this last year when my Brother in Law filled the boat up for me and stopped on the first auto stop from the fuel pump. I normally get another 10 liters in after that.

The unit is pretty easy to install, just put it in an accessible position as you need to change the battery every season although you can get a hard wired version.

Comment

What if you have a return style fuel system? Your usage reading will be WAY higher than actual usage.

Comment

Looks like you’d need 2 meters, for the main and return line. The app (interactio) does the math and adjusts the reading.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
              What if you have a return style fuel system? Your usage reading will be WAY higher than actual usage.
              As Eddie wrote, you will need another sensor.

Comment

Working...
              X