Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 21v engine help

Im a newbie here. So be kind!

My son purchased a 2000 21v from a family member who didnt winterize correctly. Ouch! They had taken to a shop who pulled motor to see what was wrong, cracked block. They quoted $15k to fix. Well um NO! So as the story goes the boat was sold as is and my son just had to pay the shop bill. Long story but in the end we got the boat and engine but some pieces are missing. This is why I'm here.

So I'm not super knowledgeable on boats however I'm very knowledgeable with everything motorized. So I may not use the proper references for parts id. Please bare with me and help me out with id so I can gather items. Part numbers and specific part id would be helpful. Also any cross over number for maybe an updated part.

Missing flywheel. Looks to be 14" with a stock (typical gm location) bottom engine side starter mount.

Flywheel to drive coupler. This is a part I have no idea what it should look like or how many pieces. Ive looked around but not certain of the plate used. Boat has a V-drive (velvet 1-1 model 10-17-004) and I assume borg warner belhousing.

Both upper exhaust risers are missing. I have a pretty good idea of whats needed here but it looks like there is two versions of wet risers and I would guess one is just a newer style.

From the exhaust riser there should be a short flex coupler to an additional casted 90 degree elbow. Missing one elbow and both couplers. I can pull the one I have (90) and get a number off but Im not certain left-right are the same. I have motor-left side when looking at motor from front-water pump/alternater end.

Also the engine throttle body cover. Plastic cover Im sure but a picture would be helpful. We may not put on but I would like it to look original if he wishes.

There might be more but until we go to reinstall I wont know. I know there are lots of bolts missing but thats easy to come up with.

Again, numbers, pictures, names web links for parts. Anything will help. As far as the motor goes we are going to build one. We have plenty of engine parts available to get the bottom end or complete if needed done.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the site. Enter your engine serial # at the top of the page and you will get the proper diagrams and part #s.
    https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-...gines#hp-table
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Hi eaton, use the site above for part numbers etc but please come back here before using ANYTHING aftermarket in the exhaust system, please stick with stock only Mercruiser, you'll never be disappointed as a result.

For clarification, did the block get replaced?
      Are you positive its block mounted starter? If its mounted on top of the bell housing from the back, the ring gear on the flywheel is in a different position.
      Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Block looks cracked at top of deck centered on both sides. Im 100% positive of the starter location. The bell housing has a top rear location but the starter is still on the block. Just no flywheel or drive coupler. I haven't torn down yet but plan to check it out. Ill check that site out. That looks to be a good start. I post back here if I have any issues and if I am successful.

Thanks!!!!

Comment

You can source a good block from anywhere for a couple hundred bucks and then machine and swap parts as required. Those camshafts are special for the fuel map of the ECM, do not try and use any other engine than what you have now. I can walk you through it but its going to take some patience.
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Welcome to the site a lot of great help here like boatwakes! I feel your pain as I just replaced an engine. I have the flywheel from my old engine, you are welcome to it. Just pay packing and shipping. You may be able to find one in your area cheaper than the shipping as it is about 30 lbs. Where are you located? Good luck!

Comment

So I went to link above and input my serial number. Im not sure if my engine has been replaced but the cooling system shown is not the same as mine. I have a wet riser on this engine and I dont know if its called open/or standard but pulls water from under boat and pumps through. There is no heat exchanger tanks on front like in the picture other than for the cooler on the side of the oil pan for transmission. This has me concerned that the flywheel and drive plate are not correct as well. As Boatwakes asked, it has a block mounted starter now. It very well could have had the starter swapped if the flywheel ring is able to be hit from front or rear. This set up looks like I could do either as long as I have the correct group (flywheel, drive plate, starter) combo. Also, I have noticed the ECM is missing and thats a big expense. At this point we may go a total different way. LS swap would be nice.

So anyone who can provide specific part numbers from a like boat, I would appreciate it. Laserfish, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. Could you get the part number off it so I can look into it before I commit?

This is a little frustrating. I would love to go down to the boat shop and give them a talking to. Im sure they made some additional money off the low hr boat parts.

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Not sure how much the ECU is costing. I know of another source. They may be less?
                http://mefiburn.com/mefiecms.asp
                Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

send your hull id to justin at tige.com so I can look up the serial of the engine that was originally in it. Maybe they tore up the block before and the block in the boat currently is the second one.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

I heading out for vacation for a couple weeks. When I get back I will get the hull number and send over.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X