Getting new engine dialed in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting new engine dialed in

Got the new engine installed and it started right up! Finally learned how to jumper into timing mode. However, it only has one mark on the balancer and one mark on the timing chain cover so I am just "kind of" timed. Need help with the following:
    1. It is really running rich and mileage is way down. Would this be timing? Should I go and get a degree tape from the hot rod shop and put it on the balancer to get the timing just right?
    2. Having a throttle problem...When I add throttle over about half way (like when pulling someone up) and try to pull the throttle back it is like the boat takes over and wont let me pull the throttle back. Finally with effort pulling back it lets go. This does not happen if the boat is not started, it is smooth all the way up and back so I don't think it is a cable. Thought it might be the PP so I unplugged the servo...no dice, still happens. Could this be the throttle position sensor?

Any suggestions as always are appreciated. So glad to be back on the water!
    Brent

TIMING!!!! See below:

The mark on the balancer needs to nail the mark on the timing cover at 10* before top dead center (BTDC) when its in timing mode. That means the engine will be running about 1100rpm. Turn the distributor clockwise to retard the timing or counterclockwise to advance it. You will need a timing gun with adjustable timing on it, a regular timing light without adjustability will not work.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Also, what engine did you end up getting? Remember the camshaft issue I was talking about earlier?

Comment

I purchased the Marine Power GM base engine. According to their tech people, it is the same cam that was in the old engine. Your opinion? Still have the old one just in case. Thanks for the timing tip, all i have is a regular timing light. Will have to borrow an advance timing light. Will keep you posted on the results.
        Any suggestions on the throttle issue? Could that be an issue with the TPS?
        Thanks for all your help and guidance.

Comment

most is related to timing/camshaft. Get the timing set first and then we'll go from there. If we need to swap cams, the motor will have to come out again but aside from labor and a few gaskets it's easy to do and I can walk you through it here.

Throttle issue is odd. Have someone watch the throttle cable at the engine while you attempt to slow down and report if its actually moving there. If it is, you'll have to check the throttle plate with the flame arrestor off which comes with some cautions. So again, lets start with the basics and move forward from there.
          Last edited by boatwakes; 09-07-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X