Starting issues when warm - 2003 Tige 21i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issues when warm - 2003 Tige 21i

I have a 2003 Tige 21i with the 350 MPI Tow Sport engine. The boat always starts when we first go out but more often than not when you turn it off after that the boat will not turn over at all, I can use a screw driver on the slave solenoid and it starts but can't start with the key. When the key is turned I do hear the audible alarm that always comes on when you turn the key but nothing when you try to start the engine. This has been an ongoing problem for a years and I have had more than one mechanic replace parts but no real solution.

I have replaced within the last year: (not all because of this issue directly)
    Key / Ignition cylinder
    Slave solenoid
    Main breaker
    Starter / starter solenoid
    90 amp breaker on starter

Any ideas would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of is the red/yellow wire from the starter solenoid may be weak and not allow the engine to start when it gets warm but feel like I am grasping at straws.

Neutral safety switch. When the problem happens, rock the shift lever back and forth while HOLDING the key in the start position. If the engine turns over, perform the following to save the rest of the day. Follow the red and yellow wire to the transmission where it connects on two separate posts to the neutral safety switch. Place both connections on one of the terminals and screw them in place. Replace the neutral safety switch when you get back. Keep us posted.
    Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I have a new neutral safety switch on the way but even with the bypass I have the same starting issue. At a loss.

Thanks again for the post.

Comment

Changed the neutral safety switch and so far so good....not sure why the bypass didn't work but the new switch seems to be working but just happy it starts.

Appreciate the comments!

Comment

Short lived happiness.....same issue even with the new neutral safety switch. The boat fires right up using a remote start switch connected to the slave cylinder on top of the engine. Not enough experience trying to just bump the engine with the remote switch and then try the key but so far it only seems to take a bump for the ignition to work normally.

Comment

Starting to plan for next summer but don't have any new ideas to solve my starting issue when warm. The only thing i can think of is to replace the wiring from the starter to the engine ignition system with the thought that something is weak and doesn't like the engine heat. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Comment

My opinion you start with this:
              When you get the no start situation, see if you have 12v at the yellow/red wire at the key switch.

If yes, check for power at the yellow/red at the starter.
              If yes, the issue is with the starter, starter solenoid or for whatever reason a ground issue.

If no, do you have power at the purple wire?
              If yes, the issue is the key switch
              If no, check for blown fuse at purple wire, check kill switch connection, be sure you have 12v on the red wire at the key switch.
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thank you....will try the list you provided.

I realize a new part can be bad but I have replaced those parts and more...only happens after warm.

I am at a loss so not ignoring any advice I can get....Thanks again!

Comment

Forgot to add, checking for power at the purple wire at the 10 pin plug at the engine as well as at the dash. 10pin plug has power, then everything is good from the dash to the engine on the purple wire side of things.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by atxbrm1968 View Post
                    Thank you....will try the list you provided.

I realize a new part can be bad but I have replaced those parts and more...only happens after warm.

I am at a loss so not ignoring any advice I can get....Thanks again!
                    I think the issue is your starter. But you need to check power to make sure at each one of the wires, just in case its a bad connection somewhere.
                    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks....I replaced the starter and solenoid also. The bad behavior stayed the same. I can always get it to start by clipping a remote starter switch on the solenoid on top of the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by atxbrm1968 View Post
                        Thanks....I replaced the starter and solenoid also. The bad behavior stayed the same. I can always get it to start by clipping a remote starter switch on the solenoid on top of the engine.
                        Could be an issue with the round 10 pin plug at the engine. Maybe it's not making good contact. Something is disconnecting and it should be fairly easy to find the next time you get a no start situation.
                        Oh Yeah!

Comment

Check to make sure the shift linkage is actually engaging the neutral safety switch. Mine fell out of adjustment once. A small adjustment made all the difference.
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                            Check to make sure the shift linkage is actually engaging the neutral safety switch. Mine fell out of adjustment once. A small adjustment made all the difference.
                            That is very true! I am so used to the shift by wire stuff. The yellow wire with red stripe goes through the neutral safety switch.

Also check the main ground on the engine for corrosion.
                            Last edited by KoolAid; 01-21-2020, 10:20 PM.
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

I haven't checked the ground, will definitely do that.

I replaced the neutral safety switch...and tried connecting the wires to one side to bypass but no change in the situation.

I have some new ideas to try based on all this feedback....it is MUCH appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X