Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prop suggestion differs between Wakemakers (911) and Acme's website (631)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prop suggestion differs between Wakemakers (911) and Acme's website (631)

I have a 2005 Switch 20i (direct drive) that we are using mostly for surfing now. My factory prop is the Acme 515. Wakemakers suggested the 525 or the 911. After reading reviews here I was ready to order the 911. I took a quick glance on Acme's website and they have a "gauge" to plug in info to find the best prop and they are suggesting a 631 or 1253. These models didn't come up with much info or reviews, so I'm wondering if anyone has some feedback on them. Am I over thinking this and should just go with the 911 from wakemakers (the price is pretty good)?

There is no "right", as in single, prop choice. There can be a number of good prop choice for any single boater. Some will be better then others though. There can also be some bad recommendations. Any suggestion that comes after only asking the boat model, take with a salt lick size grain of salt.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I had the wrong prop Acme suggested, it is a 653 or 1231 that are between the 525 and 911. I like the reviews on the 911, hoping it doesn't adversely change the slalom wake at 30 mph.

Comment

hoping it doesn't adversely change the slalom wake at 30 mph.
        Wont change the wake so much, but the RPM are going to be screaming!
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Those props run from least to most aggressive:

All are a 13" 3 blade, just a difference in pitch. As they go down in pitch, in the order ive listed them, they get more aggressive, as in pull harder for boarding/surfing, but at the same time, less ideal for skiing. Props are ALWAYS a compromise. Take the performance of your current prop as the benchmark.

Comment

So if I understand, the 1231 is probably a better compromise. The boat is struggling at surf speeds when loaded (and seems to be sucking a lot of gas).
            We hardly ever travel over 25 when cruising the lake, and my wife puts in maybe 10-15 minutes per day skiing at 30 mph. When you say high RPM's, is it still relatively sage to run at 30 mph with a 1231?

Comment

The 1231 is new, so I have not run one. But I have run the 911 and 653. The 911 is too much for a serious skier running a course in the mid 30's. The 653 will just get it done with out fear of hitting the rev limiter. In theory, the 1231 should run a little higher rpm.

Whats the lake elevation?

Comment

Elevation is only 1,400 ft. Most of the lakes in California where I am are under 2,500 with the exception of Tahoe and a few other high Sierra lakes. My wife's max ski speed is 31, so we're not serious course skier's in that sense. I sure don't want to stress the motor and run at high RPMs, but if I am going to spend the money I want to do it only once and be happy with the results.
                Are you able to get the 1231?

Comment

My 911 is a bit aggressive at Shasta (1000ft) it will bounce the rev limiter real quick but that’s at 41mph. I don’t need anything over 34mph anymore so it’s not like I’m cruising around on the limiter. We are usually at 4400’ and it runs 36mph and is about 600rpm off the limiter at WOT. It runs great loaded for surf. Rarely over 2000rpm.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

FWIW, I had 653 before the 911. It was not a good surf prop. It cavitated a ton. The 911 will cavitate if I don’t have enough weight up front but sending one person to the bow will eliminate it.

Comment

Besides pulling my wife for skiing at 31 mph, we rarely exceed 25 mph cruising on the lake. Out of curiosity, with your 911, what is the RPM at WOT? What is the speed at WOT?

Comment

@4100’, WOT 4800rpm, 36mph. @1000’, WOT 5200rpm @ 42mph. Or so.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Years ago I went with the Acme 525. It cost me a little top end, but I can still pull a skier at 32 mph. It made a world of difference getting my boat up to speed while skiing, wakeboarding and wake surfing. I've got PerfectPass as well and it worked a lot better because the RPM adjustments it made act a lot faster (this was the big difference maker for me, nothing more frustrating than boat speed fluctuation of any kind). It also had a wider diameter than my 4-blade OJ.

I get about 37mph at WOT (4800 RPM).
                            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
                            X