Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating after doing a bunch of stuff... was it the mud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating after doing a bunch of stuff... was it the mud?

1999 Tige 21V Riders Edition (Mercruiser 350 Mag)

I had an overheating issue a few weeks ago, since then I replaced the impeller, circ pump, and then thermostat. After the circ pump and before the thermostat I took it out to test and it worked great until I ran it at high RPMs, then it started overheating. While bringing the boat back to the ramp I ran into some mud and was stuck for a few minutes and luckily got out, although my propeller took a beating. I replaced the propeller and took it out today to test it and it started overheating with just going really slow in the no wake zone after just a few minutes. I checked the impeller and it’s fine still, no problems there.

I’m puzzled what to try or check for next. It was having problems sucking up water from the fake a lake, when I put the hose right in the thru inlet hose it worked fine though. Putting the hose down the inlet pushed water out of the boat just fine. I just wonder if there is something clogging it or blocking it somewhere but I’m just a beginner on all this boat stuff... so I have no idea what to check next... any ideas??

Check the trans cooler on the outlet hose. It sits above the trans. Betting it has debris blocking flow to Tstat housing.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
      Check the trans cooler on the outlet hose. It sits above the trans. Betting it has debris blocking flow to Tstat housing.
      I did check that too, nothing in there, completely clean...

Comment

I started taking off hoses and pushing some water through with the garden hose, it seems anytime the V-drive is part of the loop the water is restricted. It still goes through, but it also backs up. What does that mean? Do I need to clean out or flush or something with the v-drive?

Comment

Originally posted by mdjensen View Post
          I started taking off hoses and pushing some water through with the garden hose, it seems anytime the V-drive is part of the loop the water is restricted. It still goes through, but it also backs up. What does that mean? Do I need to clean out or flush or something with the v-drive?
          Most likely you have some debris in there. Try flushing it in reverse. There are some after market sea strainers you can install to prevent debris getting stuck in the future , especially if the lake you're on has a lot of floating debris. We had a lot of issues with hydrilla down here on one of the lakes for a while. The sea strainer let's you see if there's debris and they're usually a snap to clean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
            Most likely you have some debris in there. Try flushing it in reverse. There are some after market sea strainers you can install to prevent debris getting stuck in the future , especially if the lake you're on has a lot of floating debris. We had a lot of issues with hydrilla down here on one of the lakes for a while. The sea strainer let's you see if there's debris and they're usually a snap to clean.

How do I flush it in reverse? I’m learning everything new as it happens... any pointers or resources appreciated!

Comment

Push water through from the opposite direction of the normal flow.

Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
              X