Water not sucking with fake-a-lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water not sucking with fake-a-lake

I have a 1999 Tige 21v Riders Edition... recent history to give some context:

- Engine overheating
    - Replaced impeller, mechanic said circ. water pump was leaking, also suggested replace thermostat, alternator, and idler pulleys
    - Still overheating on a short test ride
    - Replaced circ. water pump
    - Used fake-a-lake, worked great, sucked up the water and saw it out the exhaust in the back
    - Not overheating or leaking like it was before, but it did overheat when I ran it really hard like I was pulling a tube (lots of turns, etc.)
    - On the way back ran into some mud
    - Got out of the mud by going in reverse
    - Still was able to drive it back to the boat ramp but it was still overheating (turned it off and let it cool as needed, then went a little further, did that a few times)
    - Replaced thermostat
    - Used fake-a-lake, did NOT suck up the water, and no exhaust out the back, only kept on for 10-15 seconds max
    - Tried adjusting fake-a-lake position multiple times
    - Checked impeller, still looks brand new and turns without issues
    - Checked belt, tight enough and turning when I turn the engine on
    - Engine sounds good and normal

I am at a loss of what to check now. Any ideas?

What might keep it from sucking up water from the fake-a-lake? Should I try it in the water? If so, how can I tell if it is really sucking up water?

I think that model used a composite impeller pump housing. If so and you do know know when its ever been replaced, id replace the housing and impeller.

Cleaned the debris from the trans cooler? I think its down stream of the impeller housing and collects the impeller then they blow up. Collects other trash too.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      I think that model used a composite impeller pump housing. If so and you do know know when its ever been replaced, id replace the housing and impeller.

Cleaned the debris from the trans cooler? I think its down stream of the impeller housing and collects the impeller then they blow up. Collects other trash too.
      The impeller pump housing looks really good, the mechanic that replaced the impeller said no problems there. When I inspected the impeller today I looked at the housing too and it didn't have any issues.

I'm learning all this boat stuff one step at a time... any chance you can point me to how to find the trans cooler? And how to clean it if that's not obvious? I tried googling it but didn't find anything helpful just yet...

Comment

Its metal tube like with 2 smaller oil lines running to/from the transmission.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

photos...is this trans cooler?

Its metal tube like with 2 smaller oil lines running to/from the transmission.
          Is this the trans cooler? Not a thing in there, completely clean...

IMG_2813.jpg

Comment

That is it. Always check it when changing the impeller as any vanes that break off usually end up there and can really clog it up.

Comment

I'll throw this out as a stupid response, but I did it once.....

Is there water spewing out under the boat when you turn the hose on? If not, there might be a ball valve on your hose. Just ensure the hose is actually flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by laserfish View Post
                That is it. Always check it when changing the impeller as any vanes that break off usually end up there and can really clog it up.
                Could "stuff" from the water be on the other side of the impeller?

It's just not sucking up any water from the fake-a-lake so I'm wondering what else might be happening...

Comment

Pull the inlet hose off and run the hose into it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                    I'll throw this out as a stupid response, but I did it once.....

Is there water spewing out under the boat when you turn the hose on? If not, there might be a ball valve on your hose. Just ensure the hose is actually flowing.
                    There is water coming out, when I turn the engine on usually it mostly stops and then comes out the exhaust in the back, but that's not happening...

Comment

Pull the inlet hose off and run the hose into it.
                      Trying to take it off but it looks like it's never been off before so it feels like it is really stuck on there... any tips on getting that off?

Comment

Originally posted by mdjensen View Post
                        Trying to take it off but it looks like it's never been off before so it feels like it is really stuck on there... any tips on getting that off?
                        So I ended up cutting it off and I'll replace the hose. I tested it with the hose going directly in and the water came out the back of the boat, so that's a good sign. I also pushed the water back down the intake and it flowed ok there too, so I can't see any obstructions. Once I replace the hose I think I will put it in the water and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help!

Comment

Is there a cheaper place to buy these hoses? I spent $55 at West Marine for 3 feet of hose!!! Ouch

Comment

Welcome to the world of boating ;-)
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but how are you determining that it is overheating?
                              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
                              X