ACC switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACC switch question

Hey guys! I’m putting a heater in my boat and am gonna use the previously unused ACC switch position on my dash for the supplied 3 position heatercraft switch. I popped it out and tested it with my multi meter to figure out which wire is the hot lead. I know which is power in but am wondering if these other blue wires that are daisy changed between switch’s are the switch lights. I’m guessing so but am unable to read any voltage on them. Any ideas? I’m asking more out of curiosity as I don't think the supplied switch lights up (at least the heatercraft crap instructions don’t mention it)

636567FD-952B-4A7A-B621-EC7AD3A576B1.jpg

EDIT-
    For whatever reason heatercraft didn’t include in there instructions which pole is the ground on this switch. Who writes these things? Do the even proof them before sending them out?!
    This kind of stuff drives me nuts. They tell you what the other wires connect to but leave out the ground. Now I have to waste time searching the web for a diagram.
    Does anyone have any familiarity with the Carling vjd1 3 position switches? My guess is top right but it’s just that, a guess.

0F974528-D6FC-4A37-9F3D-4275556AAB08.jpg

685A0FC9-E4A1-4BDE-9E4B-C4423FC3D44A.jpg
    Last edited by Jetdriver; 06-23-2019, 06:51 PM.

I think thats the switch illumination when the NAV lights are on. Black ground is on #7, that wire in question is on #8.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That makes since as to why I wasn’t reading any voltage on it. I’ll throw the navs on next time I’m messing with it.
      The switch that was provided with the kit only has six connection points. Labeled 1-6.
      1 is the low speed, 2 is 12V power, 3 is high speed. That’s all the direction they give ya.

This pic is a little more clear. Thanks for your response Mike.

8AE0B5FD-D323-4B9F-86B0-7797CB2AFD81.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jetdriver; 06-22-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

A 6-pin will not have illumination. So all it needs is the constant 12V in. Low speed likely has a resister between the 12V and low-speed out pin and high-speed is straight 12V out.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Is it possible that the switch doesn’t get hooked to a ground? Every switch I’ve hooked up previously has one.
          The fan/heater core assembly has 4 wires-3 for different speeds (low, medium, high) and a ground wire I was planning on running to my under helm ground distribution block.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I think I posted my last at the same time as you. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Yeah, no ground since there is no switch illumination. The heater motor will get its own direct ground.

Since the heater has 3 wires, the before mentioned resister would be in the blower box instead of switch. You get to choose between low and high, med and high or low and med since you have a 2 output switch.

Comment

I was thinking about it and I have never once wired up a switch that didn’t have a bulb. I just had it completely set in my head that the switch needed to be grounded too. Thanks for the free lesson Mike!
                Last edited by Jetdriver; 06-24-2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X