Engine Stalls after running for an hour and stopping for 20 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Stalls after running for an hour and stopping for 20 minutes

i have a 2005 Tige with a GM V8 multiport fuel injection. Typically the boat/engine starts the first time it is tried on any given day. Fairly regularly if the engine runs for 45min to an hour and then is turned off - the boat will restart but then stall out after traveling 100 yards. the next day the boat typically fires right up and no issues unless the temporary stop takes place (like going to someone's dock for awhile or anchoring for a while). Lots of things have been done, new fuel filter, new distributor cap... only use marina fuel with no ethanol, this has been going on for years, been to local marina 3 times and tige dealer once last year, and ZERO improvement. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Sounds like vapor lock to me. Your boat if I'm correct should have 2 fuel pumps, a low and high pressure. I suspect the low pressure pump (lift pump) is probably about to go out and the high pressure pump is doing all the work lifting the gas from the tank.

Comment

Good idea on the fuel pump(s).

Another possibility is blocked fuel tank vent, which means as you draw fuel out of the tank a vacuum develops. Eventually the vacuum becomes so strong that the pump(s) cannot overcome it, and the pump - and engine - starve for fuel. If this is what's happening, then the first operational period develops the vacuum and the "down time" allows the vacuum to equalize so you can repeat the sequence. If I'm reading your comments correctly, it sounds like you can leave the engine running indefinitely as long as you don't ever turn it off, which may mean that the fuel pump(s) can maintain flow with a vacuum but cannot START a fresh flow with a strong vacuum in place.

You may be able to test this the next time the problem occurs by opening the gas cap. If you get a hissing sound, that's a good clue. And if the engine will restart and keep running with the cap off, that's an even better clue.

Now you have a couple of different things to try. Report back!

Comment

Working...
      X