Belt dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belt dust

I noticed after weekend of surfing there was lot of black specs in the engine compartment. I thought maybe it was an exhaust leak bc the specs seemed to smear when you touch it. I know I had some water coming on top of the engine cover from the wake shaper... does this look like the belt needs to be replaced? The belt is really tight I’m not sure why it is doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell from the photo. Looks like the side got a little shredded.

I had a lot more dust when I shredded mine. It clogged my air cleaner and shut down the boat. The belt still looked ok but it must have jumped, shredded, and then go back into place

Check your air cleaner for black dust. If that is full clean it and definitely change your belt.

If there is any wear I would still change the belt especially if you have not done it in a while. I keep a spare on my boat now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTs-rz2 View Post
      Hard to tell from the photo. Looks like the side got a little shredded.

I had a lot more dust when I shredded mine. It clogged my air cleaner and shut down the boat. The belt still looked ok but it must have jumped, shredded, and then go back into place

Check your air cleaner for black dust. If that is full clean it and definitely change your belt.

If there is any wear I would still change the belt especially if you have not done it in a while. I keep a spare on my boat now.

That second photo looks like shredded belt. But that could be from now or over time.

Comment

James your boat looks like a 2000-2001. The belt dose need replaced. You may also be getting water on it from the blower hose housing. I had that problem not to bad to fix. duck tape up the small holes on the inside and out then reattach your blower hose.I did a small mod to mine with a back pack leaf blower hose snd some stainless steel flex.
        IMG_1200.jpgIMG_1201.jpg
        You can see in the pic the belt was throwing crap up on my hatch cover also. after the mod and new belt I don't have this problem.
        Last edited by gumby; 06-04-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Have you recently replaced a part that required the belt to be removed? Maybe something did not get aligned just right causing the belt to fail. Just replacing the belt may not be the whole answer.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
            Have you recently replaced a part that required the belt to be removed? Maybe something did not get aligned just right causing the belt to fail. Just replacing the belt may not be the whole answer.
            So the block was replaced with a reman and engine was rebuilt 50 hours ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbond View Post
              So the block was replaced with a reman and engine was rebuilt 50 hours ago.

Also at 40 hours I don’t think this was an issue.. only thing that’s changed in 10 hours was a lot more ballast and surfing.

Comment

There might be a few things going on. Like Unstuck said Look to see if every thing Looks aligned. Is your bilge pump in front of the V drive? Do you have only one bilge? There were a few things that were contributing to mine having a problem.
                #1 I would get a lot of water in the bilge through the rear vent. when surfing (Coming to a stop)
                #2 the bilge was in front of the V drive Kinda on the side not the center(center is where My drain is) and when the sacks were loaded and we would be surfing the belt would totally under water.
                I am not saying this is your problem Because I don't know for sure the year of your boat. I am just assuming from the pics you put up that looks like the blower box in one of the pics.
                You do have watch moving the bilge to the back when the boat is on land or sitting level. The water level can get so high it will get into the tranny before the pump will come on. If it is the year i am thinking it is.

Comment

Dont know what year you have, but some mercs have a plastic water pump housing and some have a brass. The brass mercs will occasionally have the pully and shaft start walking out of the pump. Id take a close look and see if yours is starting to walk out.

Comment

Belt dust

Ok thanks for the tips I will further investigate...

So the reason why there was a lot of water coming in was from the top, the surf gate was spraying water on top. I also had an inexperienced driver driving my boat and lot of water came over the nose... long story, short.. I wasn’t aware of what was going on, I was told about this after the fact.
                    Last edited by jamesbond; 06-05-2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Belt dust

I think maybe the fraying maybe come from belt slipping from being really wet??

I have belt number of 57-807755Q04 from a mechanic friend. Does this sound right? They are pretty proud of these belts.
                      Last edited by jamesbond; 06-05-2019, 08:03 PM.

Comment

OH ya that sounds like the one.that we don't know the year of. LMAO

Comment

99 21v 350 mercruiser

Comment

Local auto parts store.
                            IMG_1511.jpg

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X