limp mode with wakeshaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

limp mode with wakeshaper

I have read through all of the other discussions about limp mode but has there been any resolution to this.
    If I list the boat it runs all day no issues. if I fill all of the ballast and the Mega Wakeshaper (so the rear is level) it will go into limp mode after about two pulls.
    As a side note this was at 4000 elevation and stock prop.
    I am thinking this is from the actual load on the boat adding the wakeshaper instead of voltage or oil etc.
    this is a 2007 24ve 150 hours MP 5.7

I talked with member over the phone, damn me I cannot remember who

It was @ajward

Reach out to Marine Power and ask them about an ECM reflash, should fix your issue. You'll be out for a week or two as you'll have to send it in, they flash and then send back.

Comment

Oil level? Check while boat is un-ballasted and floating.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What Mike suggested is easier lol

I guess I jumped over the basic checks thinking that those were already checked.

Comment

Lksrfr, let me know if you find a solution. I’m in the same boat..

Comment

Limp mode also caused by TPS being out of range. Easily readjusted with an ohm meter

Comment

As 14burrito mentioned above, I chased this problem for months and did everything and more that has already been suggested here. Based on your description of the issue ie: "works listed, when adding weight and suck gate it goes into limp mode", I can tell you with some certainty the it is your ECM needing the updated flash. When they set up the 2007 MEFI 5 ECU, which was the first year for generation 5, the speed vs load parameters were not set for the weight/load we are putting on these boats now with Surfing, so it gets thrown outside of the programmed parameters and goes into limp mode. The new reflash widens these parameters, and stops this from happening. Contact Ed or George at Marine Power 1-985-386-2081 and they will know exactly what you are talking about, and if you need to use my name, Adrian Ward, go ahead. Good Luck

Comment

Thank You very much. I guess now the decision is when to send it in to salvage the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by lksrfr View Post
                  Thank You very much. I guess now the decision is when to send it in to salvage the summer.
                  Did you reach out to MP?
                  Curious if they gave you the same info as they did Adrian.

Comment

I am planning to call them today and I would probably send it to them at the end of June because I don't do holidays on the lake.

Comment

I spoke to George, he wasn't familiar with any of it and seemed to think it was a fuel pressure problem but Ed is out of the office until next Monday. He suggested I call then and speak with Ed to see what he thinks about sending it in for the flash.

Comment

Originally posted by lksrfr View Post
                        I spoke to George, he wasn't familiar with any of it and seemed to think it was a fuel pressure problem but Ed is out of the office until next Monday. He suggested I call then and speak with Ed to see what he thinks about sending it in for the flash.
                        I believe it was Ed I dealt with. I am surprised George does not know anything about it. I had to call them a couple of times due to trying their suggestions, one of which was "check the wires on the bottom of the fuel pump!" to get to the point of Ed suggesting the Reflash. I would be persistent. Also, they did charge me $100 to do it.

Comment

In their defense the engine is 13 years old, Mefi5 and they are on Mefi7 controls at the moment. I'm sure they only talk MEFI5 stuff once every few months. Its old tech that they are not using/testing with anymore.

Let us know how the ECM flash works out.
                          Oh Yeah!

Comment

I am surprised George wasn't aware of it either,
                            I talked with him for a great while gathering parts list for the 5.7 and also mentioned the ECM reflash - he seemed to be aware of it, we didn't much in depth though about which changes/parameters were adjusted with the update though.

Comment

Originally posted by 14burrito View Post
                              I am surprised George wasn't aware of it either,
                              I talked with him for a great while gathering parts list for the 5.7 and also mentioned the ECM reflash - he seemed to be aware of it, we didn't much in depth though about which changes/parameters were adjusted with the update though.
                              There is only 1 parameter that matters... Speed vs Load, that needs to be widened to solve this issue. A couple of attributes that will confirm that it is the ECU parameters are:

1. the boat will accelerate normally for about 5 seconds before going into limp mode
                              2. it will not happen every time depending on weight and load distribution. For example, if I moved one heavy person to the front, it would not go into limp mode
                              3. it will most likely not do it if listed, as you have less ballast weight in the boat

Comment

Working...
                              X