Water Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Leak

I’m new to inboards, so I’m not sure how much if any water should leak into the bilge. Both my previous I/O’s did not leak at all. The only water we would get in the bulge would be from people crawling in n out of the lake bringing the water aboard.

My 2019 R23 appears to maintains a couple gallons or so of water even when we drain it completely on land. I’ve noticed the convex hull makes it harder to get all the water out too.

I know the taps, lights, swim platform hull penetrations should not leak because they are sealed with sealant, but what about the rudder and drive shaft? Are the those expected to leak?

Help me set my expectations correctly here. Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Leak

It should not leak. There should be zero water back there ideally.

Practically you can get some in there from people or your cooler (it drains in to the bilge). But it should not be overly noticeable.

My boat always has a bit back there no matter what I do because of the aforementioned Convex V hull.

Comment

That’s what I thought or that was my experience from both of my previous I/O ‘s

Comment

Our 2017 RZX2 gave me fits over water in the bilge. I kept thinking the same thing, people getting in and out etc.... The first culprit was the right rear stock ballast bag. The bag tore at the fitting for the vent. So we weren't catching that it was leaking until we added in the P&P bags, to which the additional bag wasn't filling as quickly as the other. Closer inspection; discovered the leak. Dealer set me a new bag as I was remote.

The second leaking bag was more a mystery. It was the front stock bag and I never found the leak (as you mention the design of the hull etc... makes it difficult to drain out the water unless I was at a boat ramp. After I dropped it off at the dealer, they finally found the problem and resolved it with a new bag.

You might want to check all the fittings when filling and draining.
        Paul Middlemore

Comment

Good points, but I haven’t got to the point for checking for leaks in the bags. My leak is occurring before I ever put water in the bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
            Good points, but I haven’t got to the point for checking for leaks in the bags. My leak is occurring before I ever put water in the bags.

Have you checked the shaft seal? I had the same issue and had someone watch the seal while under power and water was spraying everywhere. Loosened the set screws and tightened up the boot and the problem went away. I'm not familiar with your boat but you may check that.

type-b-seal-002.jpg

Comment

If you trailer you can grab a floor jack when you get home and put it under the front crossmember of the trailer and jack it up. It will get the boat much higher than the tongue jack and get the water drained, especially if you use a wood block or two between jack and crossmember. Then you have a dry bilge to try and chase the problem down.

If you suspect rudder or other underwater gear you can run a hose into the bilge and see if water leaks from bilge to outside of the boat while on the trailer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                If you trailer you can grab a floor jack when you get home and put it under the front crossmember of the trailer and jack it up. It will get the boat much higher than the tongue jack and get the water drained, especially if you use a wood block or two between jack and crossmember. Then you have a dry bilge to try and chase the problem down.

If you suspect rudder or other underwater gear you can run a hose into the bilge and see if water leaks from bilge to outside of the boat while on the trailer as well.
                Will do thanks.

Comment

Just dont overdo it on filling the bilge with water especially if you have torsion axles.

Comment

Working...
                  X