Broken Alpha Z Tower Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Alpha Z Tower Leg

Super sad day folks, I stood up my tower with no issues and then I go to put the screw pin in the port side leg only to discover a chuck of metal broken away from the leg where the screw pin inserts... looking closer I was able to determine the helix-coil had backed out last time I dropped the tower and it was hanging on by a thread. This time when I raised the tower the lug on the upper election made contact with the helixcoil which pulled it out and wedged it between the upper and lower section splitting the metal on the leg. The coil left thread marks in the metal which can be seen in the pictures. I found the coil and bushing laying in the bottom if the leg afterwards. Frustrating since the tower has been only up and down a few times, there was no visible sign of thread lock in the hole either. Boat is a 2013 tige Z1 181 hrs

I’m looking for help here, if anyone knows if tige should or would help me out here? How much am I looking at to purchase a new leg or better a used one? Can the piece be welded back on or is it pot metal and not fixable? Tips for removing the leg would also be appreciated, I assume the tension spring can be removed relatively easy if the tower is standing, does it have much preload? Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cast aluminum part. It could be welded if you can find someone who is good enough to do it. Contact a dealer or Tige and see if they can help you on a tower base. At the least one can be purchased. There is a procedure to get the spring assembly loose without anyone getting hurt. When that time comes, I will help you out.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Ive had a few of these bases on and off as well. Main challenge is you need something tall enough overhead to rig the arch to. Pulling the interior panels to do the job isnt a ton of fun either. If you do it JUST right you can leave one side spring assembly still connected, but you have to pay really close attention and go a little up on both sides or you will damage the base on the other side. Or you just pull panels on both sides...

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        Ive had a few of these bases on and off as well. Main challenge is you need something tall enough overhead to rig the arch to. Pulling the interior panels to do the job isnt a ton of fun either. If you do it JUST right you can leave one side spring assembly still connected, but you have to pay really close attention and go a little up on both sides or you will damage the base on the other side. Or you just pull panels on both sides...
        Thanks for the reply to both you and KoolAid. I had a good close look and decided to dive in, luckily I have experience with tension and it’s dangers. I was also concerned about getting the tower perfectly stabilized and level not to damage the other stool. All went good, now I will wait to hear back from my dealer and also take the broken stool to the best precision welding shop I can find for a quote as a backup plan. I feel better knowing now that I have been able to skip shop time, where I live I’d probably loose most of summer waiting to get it in and repaired. I definitely would not recommend removing this though without solid stabilization. (The fender and duct tape might look questionable but between all that, the jack with nonslip tape and the straps I feel good there is no movement or stress on the other side.)

Comment

Just wondering if all alpha z's come with heli coils?

Comment

Originally posted by Jgarseeya View Post
            Just wondering if all alpha z's come with heli coils?
            It seems there was a change from a quick lock type pin to the screw type pin with the helix. I believe the quick lock had its own issues and then a conversion kit came out. I think subsequent Alphas later shipped with the helix but I’m not positive.

Comment

^ Yes, the early Alpha's had a twist type locking pin. The issue I assume was that they would rattle loose. I believe by later 09 or 10 they revised the removable pin to be threaded. The local Tige dealer to me at the time swapped them out free of charge.

Comment

i just bought a 2016 RZX and it too had a small crack at that same point.
                I got the dealer to fix it. They did it as a WARRANTY claim. Yes apparently TIGE said it was from abuse, and i dont know the previous owner but the boat has 100 hrs on it.

Tige shipped a new base (bare aluminum)...with nothing else. they pulled the old parts (screws etc) from the old base and installed the new base for me. NOTE: NO decal came with or on the new base
                I only have one pin (shop doesn't know where the pin was lost) but the remaining pin is BENT (and the end of it isnt threaded).

The dealer has ordered me two new pins and i have put a standard bolt into the hole which threads into the HELICOIL.

The dilemma i have now is that neither base actually fits the angle/camber of the tower perfectly.

the top sort of wedges into the bases....and after putting the bolt/pin in and tightening it they pull together.

Reading the comments i would be concerned that tightening the tower bolt...while it brings the base and the tower in alignment....is stressing the aluminum base. There is no adjustment on the base installation...essentially just install it where it is and tighten the bolts.

Has anyone tried shimming the base with luck? IF you shim the base you would notice it on the deck of the boat rail....

lastly...since this swap it appears the springs are not connected/not working. Not sure what this assembly looks like but this will likely be attempted by myself to fix...

SCARED TO BREAK THEM AGAIN~!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X