Please explain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please explain

How are you to get the oil drain hose out of the drain plug hole when there is a large aluminum angle within a 1/2” of the transom. Is this common?
    016270E8-8247-47D7-A36C-2E36728B0338.jpg

We just use the hose and pump the oil out instead of running through the drain plug hole.. What year and model boat?

Comment

Get an oil change sucker pump for going down the dip stick. Just get a good one with hard plastic tubes and avoid the ones with the softer nylon grade tubes.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My oil drain hose doesn’t even fit out the drain plug hole. I just bought an oil extractor and do suck it out that hose. Make sure the oil is warm first.

I wish I knew where to find an adapter to those threads.

Comment

That's just 1/4" pipe thread. Just about the most common fitting. Shouldn't be hard to find an adaptor for anything.

Comment

^^^yep. Go to Lowes and look around. I found some sort of plastic thingy that compressed onto the end of the plastic line and screws right up to the oil line. EZ

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It’s on a 2018 RZX2.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                My oil drain hose doesn’t even fit out the drain plug hole. I just bought an oil extractor and do suck it out that hose. Make sure the oil is warm first.

I wish I knew where to find an adapter to those threads.

X2 on this for me. If you do not use the extractor it will take hours to drain out

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

x3 on the extractor. This has been discussed here many times. Shipped by Amazon or many others for well under $100, buy once, use forever.

Those threads are standard, as mentioned above. Lowes and Home Depot have a big board in their plumbing departments with dozens and dozens of small brass and plastic fittings in this size and smaller. Prop the hose up, remove the cap and take it and the extractor's largest ID hose with you, find the male thread that fits it, and then use that to find the female-to-hose-barb fitting that does the job. I bet you'll be out of there for under $5.

BTW, using an extractor with this hose and warmed oil is way, WAY easier than removing the plug from the oil pan of a street vehicle. The entire operation is self-contained and clean. 100% recommended, don't even think about it, just do it this way.

Comment

I tried going down the dipstick in my truck transmission one time. The hose fell off the fitting and ended up in my transmission. Thankfully I was going in there anyways to change the filter, otherwise that would have turned a 1 hour job into a 6 hour job.

I prefer using the outlet hose on the boat as opposed to the dipstick. It just works faster.

Comment

They are a bit more than the vacuum extractors, but I swear by the reversible pump extractor. It make enough vacuum that I suck out the dipstick by just using a spark plug boot over the dipstick tube.

Comment

p.s i use a 1/4 in female air hose adapter. 5/16 fuel line fits over it perfectly. Also a 5/16 fuel line will fit over most dipstick tubes.

Comment

Mines two pieces JohnnieMo. The barbed fitting then the 1/4" adapter for your hose. I got it at Home Depot. Plumbing section.

The warmer your boat is the better. If you can ever do an oil change as soon as you get of the water that is the best time. Once you pump a few times it siphons the rest. Go swap out the oil filer then come back and get the last bit that has settled in the pan.

Dipstick option just seems painfully slow to me. The extractor was the best thing I've purchased for oil changes. I wish I had gotten it for my previous boat.

As I'm assuming most are doing this for winterizing purposes I just wanted to mention something else. Someone else mentioned it on here so I thought I would give it a go. Stick a 5 gallon bucket under your exhaust ( I have FAE so makes this a little easier). I then used my portable fat sac pump and put it in the bucket and bought a 15' piece of 1" hose (also Home Depot) which went to the raw water intake in the boat. This allowed me to cycle the antifreeze back in to the boat. I wasted a lot less and was able to keep the boat running longer for the thermostat to open.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X