CLEAR screen temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLEAR screen temperature

I have a 2018 Z3 with the CLEAR screen. It went out with about 75 hours on the boat. Replaced under warranty. Just ran it with the new screen this past weekend and noticed that when you hold your finger on the screen for more than a second or two, you realize the screen is a bit warm to the touch. You wouldn't normally notice this with just the normal touch of the screen to operate it. The old screen, right before it went out, gave an error message that said something to the effect of "this unit has detected a high temperature and will shut down to avoid damage." So that got me to thinking about what the normal temperature of the screen should be. Does anyone know what surface temperature of the CLEAR screen should be?

It was sunny out, but not more than about 90 degrees. When the old one gave the error message, it was about 75 degrees out.

Ive noticed it does get warm, but I turn my brightness down to a little under half way to avoid any potential issues. I have 181 hrs and have never had a problem, and we are in 100+* days frequently here in Tx. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Indeep View Post
    I have a 2018 Z3 with the CLEAR screen. It went out with about 75 hours on the boat. Replaced under warranty. Just ran it with the new screen this past weekend and noticed that when you hold your finger on the screen for more than a second or two, you realize the screen is a bit warm to the touch. You wouldn't normally notice this with just the normal touch of the screen to operate it. The old screen, right before it went out, gave an error message that said something to the effect of "this unit has detected a high temperature and will shut down to avoid damage." So that got me to thinking about what the normal temperature of the screen should be. Does anyone know what surface temperature of the CLEAR screen should be?

It was sunny out, but not more than about 90 degrees. When the old one gave the error message, it was about 75 degrees out.
    -Brandon Lucas
    Houston, Tx

Comment

Thanks. That does help. I had thought about turning the screen brightness down. I'm gonna get one of those laser temp gauges and see what the actual temp is on the surface. Maybe compare brightness settings and see if that brings temp down. I'm also going to just keep a towel over it when we sit just to keep the sun off of it.

Comment

I also have tinted windows, which helps with dash temp a little bit. Just some thoughts.
        -Brandon Lucas
        Houston, Tx

Comment

Working...
        X