Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd noise from steering wheel/rack while surfing

Hi guys -

We were able to get our ‘13 Z3 out for the first time this weekend (yay!). Over the winter, I replaced my steering cable with the upgraded “Xtreme” Teleflex cable to fix some stiff steering I was having. All was good ... buttery smooth.

However, today, when heavily loaded and surfing, I noticed a weird “chattering” coming from the rack behind the steering wheel when we would power up with the wheel turned left. Only when we are just starting, however. The sound doesn’t happen when under way no matter how fast or how aggressive the turn. Although the wheel didn’t feel like it was slipping (wheel is still nice and aligned), that’s what it sounded like.

Anyone ever experience this? I’m not sure where to look in order to fix? The sound is kinda gnarly...

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard the same thing on a 17’ Z3 the other day. Everything appears to be tight under the helm. Hopefully someone will have some insight into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
      Heard the same thing on a 17’ Z3 the other day. Everything appears to be tight under the helm. Hopefully someone will have some insight into this.
      Agreed... seems as though there are quite a few folks in here that have heard this too. We managed to get a video of it here: https://youtu.be/U_d4ocPvGBs ... that cracking noise almost makes me cringe when I hear it. Just doesn’t sound right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last time I had a noise like that, I had rope (from debris in the lake) wrapped around my prop shaft. Once I cut all of that off, it was fine. Hopefully its something simple like that for you.
        Last edited by flipz96; 05-29-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X