tige touch not coming on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tige touch not coming on

So I have a little question on the 2016 touch screens. I can't seem to get the touchscreen to turn on or stay on when using the battery in the on position. It turns on just fine when set to combine or by starting the motor. talked do dealer he thought bad battery but they both say 13volts. so I donno.

Sounds like a low voltage thing. Maybe loose connection somewhere? My screen crapped out doing the auto-select/screen goes crazy thing last summer. Replaced under warrantee no probiem.

Comment

Sounds like your cranking battery is shot and deep cycle is doing all the work. Next time you go to the slip take a multimeter and test cranking battery voltage before startup with switch in off position. Cranking batt will probably be the inboard battery. I will bet its 11.8 or lower. Another quick one would be try to crank boat in just on position. If it is suoer slow cranking or won't crank at all that battery is shot.
      Im guessing here but that 13v is while running which is your alternator doing it's job. Engine off key on will probably net a different reading at touch screen.
      Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-26-2018, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Also agree voltage problem. I had a similar issue on my 14 Z1 on our first outing last year. Idled around the marina for a while to let the battery charge from the alternator and put it on a tender when we got off the water.

Make sure that you are reading the voltage with a meter at the batteries in either the "off" position or "on", sounds like you may have the battery switch in combine and reading the voltage through Tige Touch.

Comment

Starting the boat with the battery switch in on works just fine, not sluggish at all. When you think if it that makes sense as it would be the accessory battery. Dealer said they’re deep cycle batteries so you can’t test them with a volt meter.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
            Starting the boat with the battery switch in on works just fine, not sluggish at all. When you think if it that makes sense as it would be the accessory battery. Dealer said they’re deep cycle batteries so you can’t test them with a volt meter.
            Sorry, I was tripping last night. Screen I believe is getting the power from deep cycle. If you screen isn't coming on in ON position but is in Combine position then one battery is covering for the other.

I don't know how to say this politely, but your dealer is wrong. It's literally as easy as taking a multimeter and poking a lead to ground post and a lead to pos post. Read voltage. There's some mich nicer testers that will also measure CCA potential which helps give clues to a batteries health.
            If you key on but engine off with screen on it should show you house batt voltage and a cranking batt voltage at screen as well.

Comment

Ok I’ll check that on the weekend, Bring a battery tester and charger. I disagreed with him too, didn’t seem right. Now that I think of it tiring the key to the right the physical gauges don’t turn on either, they try and then turn back off.

Comment

Just switch your batteries around. If it works with you cranking battery in the house position then you know what's up

Comment

^^Good thinking!

Comment

If the engine is running, you turn the battery switch to single, does the screen turn off? If so the battery is toast or the wire from the house battery to the battery switch has been disconnected.
                    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yup the screen works when in the on position but the engine just needs to be running.

Comment

This is confusing.

Leave the combine switch OFF.

Does the screen come on? Sounds like no.
                        Does the engine come on? Sounds like yes.

If so, after the engine comes on does the screen then come on? Sounds like yes

If that is the case, sounds like one battery is toast and when the engine is running the alternator is active and running the radio in spite of the bad battery.

Koolaid, is that what would happen with the alternator?

Comment

So both batteries are above 12v with a volt meter.

With engine off switch from combine to on and all power is lost on gauges and dash. Turn engine on and screen pops up on both settings.

Oh and when we turn the key with the battery on it gets power the gauges try to come in and then go off.
                          Last edited by bsreid; 04-30-2018, 02:17 AM.

Comment

That is correct. The cranking battery tops off then the gate opens to the house battery, which gives the house voltage. I still think the house battery is toast.
                            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                              So both batteries are above 12v with a volt meter.

With engine off switch from combine to on and all power is lost on gauges and dash. Turn engine on and screen pops up on both settings.

Oh and when we turn the key with the battery on it gets power the gauges try to come in and then go off.
                              It may have 12v but does it have the ampacity to run the house? Seems to me like no. If the screen comes back on after the engine is running, then the house battery is receiving voltage(mainly amperage for this discussion) which give the system enough amps to turn on.
                              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X