Neutral/throttle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutral/throttle problems

I have a 2006 22ve marine power. Sometimes when I stop, go to neutral, then try and take off again the engine will not accelerate past idle forward and reverse. Prop engages but no acceleration. I have to stop boat return to neutral then shut engine off, start engine then problem is fixed temporarily. Thought it may be a voltage problem, new battery’s, alternator is charging. I have been told about a neutral safety switch on transmission and a sensor in handle assembly. Would appreciate any ideas or direction to go. Thanks in advance

Is this limp mode? Due to that blasted voltage difference rewire dealio associated with the computer?

My memory is foggy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Originally posted by dakota4ce View Post
      Is this limp mode? Due to that blasted voltage difference rewire dealio associated with the computer?

My memory is foggy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sure sounds like the same dreaded limp mode caused by voltage difference. I would call Marine Power. They have 4 pages of drawings and explanations on how to fix. They will email it to you. If for some reason you can't get the pages from them let me know and I can try and post them here. I've got them laminated above my toolbox.

Comment

There is a potentiometer on the shifter. You check for voltage between the blue and black wires. It should be between .95 and 1v at idle. You adjust the slide on the potentiometer to set the value in range.
        IMG_2779 updated.jpg
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

SHould be ablel to rule out the NSS as the engine starts.

#1 cause, assuming its never been address, is the ECM seeing voltage from each battery as dekota and free mention. I would not rule out the issue just because the batteries are new. A bad cable or connection can cause low voltage one of those ECM inputs, even with a new battery.

#2, likely time for a throttle POT as koolaid mentions.

An ECM scan could be worth the price of admission in diagnosing.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

It almost makes me want to check some jet boat forums. I know marine power was/is popular with that crowd. Curious to see if they are having the same issues as they age.

Comment

I always start with the POT on the '06. Just an easy one to verify so you don't run in circles. This one is the '06 MEFI 4 so it has the TAC module. The only year it was offered with throttle by wire.

From what I remember when its the code 81 the buzzer comes on when the issue happens. No buzzer, most likely just the POT adjustment. And he was stating the issue happens when he comes back to idle. I was thinking the code 81 would bring the revs back down to idle while the boat was moving.
              Last edited by KoolAid; 03-26-2018, 03:27 PM.
              Oh Yeah!

Comment

Tige dealership is 3hrs away for diagnostic scan. So I guess I will check the pot. When this problem first started I asked Tige about replacing entire throttle handle, they said it was no longer available. Thanks for advice, I will also see if I can locate anyone who have the equipment to scan my ecm vs dragging my boat to dealership.

Comment

The entire handle assembly isn't available but the potentiometer is.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

Where can I get that from? If I am going to pull handle apart I would like to change part while I’m there.

Comment

I had the same problem on my 06 22VE. No buzzer ever sounded, but same symptoms as yours. I changed the potentiometer, bought it off ebay I think. Problem still persisted because the voltage wasnt set correctly. The voltage at Idle was waaaaaay off. As soon as I set the potentiometer to the right voltage at idle it fixed the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnturf View Post
                        Where can I get that from? If I am going to pull handle apart I would like to change part while I’m there.
                        https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...EDRmi%252bM%3d
                        Last edited by boonecragun; 03-27-2018, 05:55 AM.

Comment

My mechanic was working on the rewire problem and the paperwork from marine power the color of the wires and position on the harness do not match on the ECM. Waiting to hear back from marine power. He did find that voltage was at 4.91volts on the tac module 10 way harness. So much for using the boat this weekend

Comment

Working...
                          X